Author Topic: Pet Store  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
Re: Pet Store
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 06:05:52 PM »

I know the exact place you are talking about. DO NOT go back!!! It's owner by the same person who owns the D**C  >:D
[/quote]

Sorry I'm being thick - what is the D**C

Offline Cockerlove

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
Sorry I'm being thick - what is the D**C

D**C = commercial registration company

Ask not what your cocker can do for you, but ask what you can do for your cocker!!

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »
ah yes, that would make sense

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 07:58:26 PM »
Yes, Helen, you have made the right decision not to get a pup from one of those places  >:(

You will get lots of good advice on here and you will find your perfect pup when the time is right  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
they have a sign up saying all puppies are registered, but if you look closely some are Kennel club & some are D**C, but are all the same price. A friend of a friend used to work there and apparently the D**C puppies are bought in at £50  :-\ The last I heard cocker Spaniels were selling there for £500?? Nice margins !  :shades: >:D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »
Can I ask people not to give the full name or full intials of the alternative registration company referred to above, please. They scour the internet for negative comments and then threaten legal action when they find any so it's best not to give them on any assistance on that score ;)
Jane

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
helen Im so glad you are waiting for the right puppy. While you are waiting/ searching why dont you buy the perfect puppy by gwen bailey. its a good read and very helpful. And did you know there are 2 strains of ( english) cocker spaniel the working type and the show type.(both KC reg) Many people do not realise there is a split within the breed until the pup grows up not looking as they expected. I have working types. show types tend to have longer ears, coat and different shaped heads.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 11:18:22 PM »
helen Im so glad you are waiting for the right puppy. While you are waiting/ searching why dont you buy the perfect puppy by gwen bailey.

But don't read her "dog guide" where she refers to solid cockers as being prone to aggressiveness!!  :o

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 07:32:31 AM »
And did you know there are 2 strains of ( english) cocker spaniel the working type and the show type.(both KC reg) Many people do not realise there is a split within the breed until the pup grows up not looking as they expected. I have working types. show types tend to have longer ears, coat and different shaped heads.

This is a good point as the 2 types are actually quite different.  I didn't know until I got a dog about the 2 strains.  ::) Show types are pretty lively and need loads of exercise but working cockers are even more lively and need even more.  I have met people who have got a working type, not knowing there was a difference, and have been shocked at the amount of exercise and stimulation the working type needs.  :o  Not that a show type is exactly a doddle on this front but it is best to be aware!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline helenb

• Site Member
  • Maddie
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 04:29:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help in finding a cocker spaniel pup.

I have some news, my boyfriend accompanied me to the place in manchester and had also helped me to ring round breeders.
As a surprise the other day he turned up with a present for me - a cocker spaniel pup!  :o

Straight away I asked him where he got her from and he said the place in manchester as he knew 2 people that had bought a CS pup from there 1 year and 2 years ago and they were beautiful dogs and I had nothing to worry about.

What could I say, she is beautiful and very well behaved, I couldn't take her back now  :embarassed:
I feel awful, because of all the good advice everyone has given me.

Can I still count on all your support to give me guidance in looking after her?

Regards
Helen

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
Oh, dear - I guess he meant well - of course I'll give you advice and support if I can, Helen - what's done is done  :-\

Maybe you could show your boyfriend some of the websites that highlight the plight of puppy-farmed dogs so he better understands WHY you felt the way you did about "that" place; hopefully, it will stop him recommending the same place to anyone else :( I can PM you some links if you feel it would help to show him, but they are very distressing....... :'(

Anyway - when do we see pictures of your new pup - it is compulsory, you know  :005: What is her name? Is she show or working strain?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 04:40:28 PM »
Oh dear Helen :( What a shame your boyfriend wasn't willing to listen to the good advice you've been given. Unfortunately, by buying a puppy from such a place, your boyfriend has helped support the awful puppy farm industry - perhaps he didn't realise where the Manchester place gets their supply of puppies from? Hopefully your puppy will be one of the lucky ones and grow up health and happy and of course, you will get plenty of help and advice from COL members should you need it.
Jane

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
 ;) helen, I'd like to wish you well with your new pup, you are not the first and you won't be the last person who has unknowingly got their pup from somewhere like this. ;)
 I think you will find that there are other COL members who have done and have still ended up with fantastic dogs, so don't worry, now that she's here we want to see her and find out all about her  ;) photos are compulsory!! :005:  There are lots of experienced people who will be only too pleased to offer any advice you might need, you only have to ask :D Good Luck Jann and Flo :luv: :-* :-*

Offline Cockerlove

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »
It's a pity, but don't worry. People here hold no grudges, not helping you wouldn't turn back time would it?  :blink:

Good luck with your pup, don't worry about anything else but enjoying her. Has the little angel got a name?  :luv: :luv:
Ask not what your cocker can do for you, but ask what you can do for your cocker!!

Offline helenb

• Site Member
  • Maddie
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
I did tell my boyfriend the advice I had been given by everyone here, but unfortunately it was after the event!
I'd rather not see the information on puppy farms, it would upset me too much  :'(
I used to work at the RSPCA HQ and they would regularly send us updates on email of the worst cases of animal cruelty without asking us first if we wanted to be included on the email, it used to upset me terribly  :'(

I have called her Maddie and she is black with a white mark down her front and a few white hairs around her mouth and paws, hardly noticeable.
I think she is a show dog as her ears are quite long. She is beautiful and is house trained, I have puppy pads down which she uses, she whimpers when she wants to use them. At the moment I am trying to coax her to walk around the house, she tends to like sitting with me or in her box and playing with toys. I am also trying to encourage her to go the toilet in the garden, but she is quite shy. I think I will put a pad out there and see if that encourages her, would you agree?

Helen :blink: