Author Topic: Honey & Holly  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
Honey & Holly
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »
I was so pleased to find your site, I have been looking for advice and hints on keeping Spaniels and have found lots of useful information here.
We took Honey and Holly for six months to let their owner go abroad and it has since been decided that they stay with us. We of course are delighted but I cannot say the same for our Birman cat!!!!!!!!!! He want to meet them as he was used to dogs, our previous one having been a Doberman and they were the best of pals.
Honey and Holly are sisters from the same litter!!! which has brought its own problems in more ways than one. Poor Bertie is still upstairs as they chase him and the pack instinct comes in to play. We are hoping patience pays off!
They were both very nervous and scared when they arrived and it has taken a lot of training and routine to get them to where they are now. We still have a long way to go. We had them neutered a couple of months after they arrived and that was an upsetting experience I never wish to go through ever again. Holly cried for days and would not eat, and she lives to eat., thankfully neither they or we will ever have to share that experience in the future.
Friends have said what a difference in them as they do not react the way they used to with their hysterical and scared barking. I used to give the visitors a treat to give them which was kept until the guests had sat down and ignored them until the barking had stopped and then reward them.
We used a clicker and treats to get them to come back as they had never been off the lead and that worked unless some poor unsuspecting dog appeared and the barking and yelping would start up, very embarrassing!
It did help that one dog who was not going to be intimidated chased Honey who ran home to the safety of the garden, taught her a lesson.
We have kept dogs for over forty years having started off with Cairn Terriers and had three generations of them. They were just so easy to train as the younger ones just copied the older ones. We then went on to have a Doberman and he was just a pet but protective as well. He died and we eventually took on a rescue Doberman who was lovely and adored children but had a few issues which we had to address and once this was done he was great.
SPANIELS, especially siblings we are learning, are something different again. They are so lovely 'BUT' starting training at two years old is different to having them from pups. One would be no problem and they do want to please so finding your website is a tremendous relief to read other Spaniel owners' stories and what they have had to do with different situations.
I was especially interested in the grooming questions and how they should be stripped. I went immediately and ordered a Coat King and thinning scissors. I already use a slicker brush and have just been cutting out any clumps which have escaped me.
Another interesting fact I found out was 'Yes' they have got a lot more hair since being neutered. I have always groomed them since they came to help the bonding process and also to get them used to being handled and so that I can check them over each day. I find that even although I use Frontline on them they can still get the odd tick. The poor little things were alive with fleas when they arrived. I had treated them with the flea and tick control within the first couple of hours of them arriving and their were fleas diving for cover and they were scratching like mad. I just have never seen dogs infested like that!!!!!!!! I itch at the thought of it. I fortunately had a spray for the house. I had to leave it a couple of days before bathing them.
We are all through the other side now although would still appreciate any advice on getting them to tolerate Bertie our poor cat.
I do hope I have not bored you all! I did not expect to be so enthralled with these two bundles of fun. So much for no more dogs especially at our age! They have given us a new lease of life, and a lot more house work but hey what else have I got to do with my time. We are both rewarded with so much love and adoration and I am sure we will get there, in the end. I cannot wait for the Coat King and thinning scissors to arrive. I will post before and after photographs when they are done, on second thoughts maybe not. I look forward to making your acquaintance and to read about your little darlings. They still are dogs though! and we know who is in charge, Dont we?

Offline loujo

• Site Member
Re: Honey & Holly
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:20:48 AM »
Welcome to COL.  Sounds like you've been busy over the past few months with Honey and Holly. 

Enjoy the website and a warning to you - this site is addictive! :D
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »
Hi and welcome! :D

We have a Holly too (almost 4). She's an orange roan and came to us when she was a year old - she'd previously lived with her littermate Hella.
We also have Byron (4 1/2), a gold sable and Mac (15 weeks), a blue roan.

We'd love to see some pics of your girls. ;)
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline julesd

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

Sounds like you've really had your hands full! It seems Honey and Holly have found a good home though.

Now any piccies will do, we all love to see piccies  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »
welcome to col :D

yes you have your hands full, but i think your approach to their past and potential problems is fantastic. You are fully aware of the issues of littermates, especially ones who have not had a particularly good grounding before you had them, and to see them progressing like this must be so satisfying.

You've done a lot of hard work, no doubt there is more to overcome but you're under no illusions and i hope you will all be very content together ;)  - i'm sure you all will be :D

can we please see pics :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »
Sounds like you all are doing wonderfully! :D Welcome to COL  :blink: Can't wait to see pics :luv:
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:04:56 PM »
I have spent hours trying to figure out how to post some photographs of Honey and Holly. I have downloaded some on to Photobucket but I am not sure what to do next!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for everyones comments.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »
Hello and welcome
Honey and Holly sound like hard work but fun.
Can't help with the cat thing my dog Charlie hates the two cats and the feeling is mutual. I just try to make sure they all get some time and the cats have the run of upstairs so they feel safe there.
I am sorry I can't explain how to put photos on either I ahve to get my OH to help me.
Claire

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:43:03 PM »
Thank you for contacting me. I am sure we will overcome the problem of Bertie versus Honey and Holly. I just have to share myself between them. I am breaking all of my rules no animals on the bed!! Bertie now shares it, I make sure he has his Frontline regularly. We do feel for their previous owner but love is not enough with dogs and that is why we have had such a hard time. It does worry me that breeders do not check the people out who buy them as it is not the dog's fault when things go wrong. They do need to know their boundaries and they are happy with that also who is boss!! O.H.has been warned no spoiling, not easy when they lie down and look at you with head between the paws look.
I am never going to get anything done in the house as this site is so addictive. I have at last managed to get a photo posted.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:54:56 PM »
Hello & Welcome to COL :D

It sounds as if you have your hands full at the moment with Holly & Honey & Bertie,your cat! ;)

We have 2 dogs as well; Domino, a cocker & Spike, a black lab & my friend has a Cairn whom we look after when they go on holiday. ph34r

Enjoy the Forum; you've already noticed it's very addictive!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
Hello :D welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have your hands full but I am sure that you will overcome the problems :blink:

I have 4 cocker spaniels called Flossy, Charlie, Toby and Grace. 3 blue roans & a blue roan & tan. Toby and Grace are also from the same litter and are bundles of fun, they are such a lovely pair (apart from chewing wood and coal)

Enjoy the forum  ;)
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Thank you for the contact, I was interested to see that you have two from the same litter. We are at the moment having the 'who gets through the cat flap first' with lots of yelping and growling!!!! it is in the main good natured so not too much of a problem. I would have loved to take them both to classes for behaviour to get them used to other dogs. We unfortunately do not have such a thing without having to travel a considerable distance. Your dogs look absolutely lovely and so well behaved, perhaps, one day! I say longingly. I know it is patience and hard work that will pay off and we do have the time, so I am sure it will come right. It is such a shame as Honey would benefit from agility classes or to have been trained as a sniffer as this is how she plays. She hides her own Kong and then spends ages looking for it, she makes her own fun and this is after two very long walks through the woods and rivers, daily, her energy is boundless. I have to makes sure they have quiet time just to calm her more than anything, Holly the red roan is more of a 'I will just watch' with the occasional spurt of energy to pinch the Kong and hide it in their bed, much more interested in food than play and now when out walking never ventures far from heel as their just might be a treat going.
If their was a class to go to I would have to be sure it was an expert running it!!! as with most things there are always those who think they know! I have kept dogs for over forty years but it does not make me an expert, I am still learning.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum  :D

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

You sound as if you have enough experience but as you have found out, cockers are quite a shock to the system  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
Hello and welcome. My two babes are Glen and Sally both Working Cockers.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)