Author Topic: Is It Kennel Cough??  (Read 1362 times)

Offline benji

• Site Member
Is It Kennel Cough??
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
Benji had a kennel cough vaccination at the vets a couple of weeks ago and spent the weekend (just gone) in the kennels.

Since he's been back he has been coughing a lot....
Do you think this is kennel cough or maybe he's got a sore throat as I imagine he spent half the weekend barking!! 

Thanks...

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Re: Is It Kennel Cough??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »
Try giving him a spoon of honey every couple of hours if he has got a sore throat the honey will help.If his like it tomorrow i would take him to the vet's.
If you have any other dog's keep him away from them.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:05:56 PM »
agree with the honey :D

if he does have the cough tomorrow and he is JUST coughing (no sign of a temp or chest infection) then try not to accept the anti-biotics which may be foisted on you....kennel cough is a virus (much like a human cold) and anti-b's can sometimes prolong the virus cycle.       
Anti-biotics are for treating bacterial infections not viruses from what i've read (and a kennel cough false alarm we had a few months - anyone want to buy a £40 of synolux which was never needed?  >:()

colloidal silver (with a spray dispenser is best) is fantastic for kennel cough too ;)

and def. keep him away from other dogs until it's cleared up :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
Antibiotics are not given to treat to kennel cough as such, but to prevent secondary infections such as pneumonia! So personally, if it is a severe case of kennel cough, I would definitely accept antibiotics.

In addition, it would be advisable to have your dog checked out anyway. Coughing can have more serious causes like heart problems, heart worm, lung problems etc.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

He's not been much of a 'barker' until he returned from the kennels (first time there) where he barked for 3 hours when he got back!!
So I think he's just got sore throat from all the out of character barking.

I've given him some honey which he really liked  :005: and he's not coughed since so think he's ok.

Will keep an eye out though.

Thanks again, always good to have some decent advice!!
What would we all do without COL?  :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »
Antibiotics are not given to treat to kennel cough as such, but to prevent secondary infections such as pneumonia! So personally, if it is a severe case of kennel cough, I would definitely accept antibiotics.

granted...IF it is SEVERE kennel cough -  but if it is an undiagnosed cough with no secondary signs of temperature or infection which actually went away in a day i'll be damned if i give my dog antibiotics, especially considering the same ones gave him chronic diarrhoea the first time he was diagnosed them (which the vet knew) and which in that case led to infected anal glands.

I don't feel it's necessary to over use antibiotics - unless there is real cause.  same with humans.

it can also be something as simple as an allergy, so don't panic Benji. 

helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 05:35:23 PM »

granted...IF it is SEVERE kennel cough -  but if it is an undiagnosed cough with no secondary signs of temperature or infection which actually went away in a day i'll be damned if i give my dog antibiotics, especially considering the same ones gave him chronic diarrhoea the first time he was diagnosed them (which the vet knew) and which in that case led to infected anal glands.

I don't feel it's necessary to over use antibiotics - unless there is real cause.  same with humans.

I agree - over-prescription of antibiotics for "people" a few years ago is now being considered a main reason why antibiotic-resistant bacteria evolved  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »
Well we're off to the vets this afternoon as he spent most of the night coughing and spluttering.  :'(

He doesn't have a temperature and is fine in himself so if they offer anti-biotics I'll discuss further with them before accepting.

He's meant to be going to a neighbour's tomorrow (whilst I'm at work) and one of their dogs is 13 so the last thing I want to do is pass something nasty onto her...

Will let you know what vet says.

Penel

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »
Maybe he got kennel cough from the vaccination  :huh:

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
Just back from the vets, they said it was sore throat not Kennel Cough but tried to give me anti-biotics anyway?!!
Declined of course.

I'm in the wrong job - £25 for a 5 minute consultation!!  >:( But at least it puts my mind at rest.

Penel

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Sore throat from barking so much at the kennels ? ... maybe next time you'll have to ask the kennels to put him in a less busy bit, so he isn't so over stimulated.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Maybe he got kennel cough from the vaccination  :huh:

Isn't it an avirulent vaccine?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »
Just back from the vets, they said it was sore throat not Kennel Cough but tried to give me anti-biotics anyway?!!
Declined of course.

I'm in the wrong job - £25 for a 5 minute consultation!!  >:( But at least it puts my mind at rest.

i paid £40....but in those days i didn't question the vet...anyone want a course of synolux antibiotics :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:
helen & jarvis x