Author Topic: Puppy Biting  (Read 3137 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Puppy Biting
« on: September 30, 2003, 11:37:21 PM »
Hi

I have had my new puppy for over a week now and he is a real character, but he bites all the time. when he does it I make a loud noise and then leave him as thats what the books recommend. However it makes no difference to him, he just comes right back again.

I understand that puppys do bite but he also snarls and bares his teeth sometimes when I pick him up to pet him and this evening he was in the garden and got something in his mouth so I went to see what he was eating and he went for my hand snarling and he bite it hard.

Is this normal puppy behaviour as my friends are telling me if I am not careful I am going to end up with a vicious dog.                    

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
Puppy Biting
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:59:24 AM »
Hi Garry

Just to let you know i went through the same thing with my pup a few weeks ago , i was REALLY in a state thinking i'd got the most EVIL puppy in the world ! , everyone on here was so supportive , and now shes 14wks old (Amber, orange~roan) and is SO much better , not perfect ...........YET !

Garry if you look under this puppy section you'll see the replies that i had under PLEASE HELP ME !!

Im sure you'll find lots of helpful advise on here

Good luck

Love gaynor & Amber xxxxxxxx                    
HAVE A LOOK IN MY ALBUM FOR A RECENT PICCIE OF AMBER !!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Puppy Biting
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 09:37:24 AM »
Here is a link to Gaynor's thread on puppy biting :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=2750

Garry, please do not listen to people who tell you that you will end up with a vicious dog - you have a puppy doing the normal things that all puppies do. He will learn given time & patience on your part.                    
Jane

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Puppy Biting
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 08:29:47 PM »
Hi Garry,

Our blue roan girl millie is nearly 11months old - if she gets too excited she will still play nip - we just tell her "no" when she does it, sometimes we also cry/yelp, as if shes hurt us .. I think she actually realises she has done wrong because she usually licks you straight after - as if its an apology!

I was worried that she would end up thinking it was OK to bite people and that she would be "vicious" - but as Jane has said its just a puppy thing.

Please try not to worry and remember to be consistent in your scoldings - don't let him bite you once not get told off, but next time he bites he does - everyone in the household  should try to do the same - consistency is the key  :)   :) good luck                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Jay.doyle

• Site Member
Puppy Biting
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 09:08:04 PM »
Hi,
 when "Simba" our little 10 week old puppy bites we simply say NO until he stops and give him a toy to chew. Do not smack as said so in are book.
 Hope this helps you!

Jason, Alexis and Simba  ;D                    

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
Puppy Biting
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 10:26:58 AM »
we also had this problem with Taliska, I took it so personal  :-[ in those first few weeks, and it wasn't helped by getting up several times in the night to let him out.  I sounded like a broken record -No No No No Stopit etc etc.....  see my posting on stessed out mum.  :'(

:) Pleased to say that Taliska is now 20 weeks, an whilst he will still have a go partic at me his mum, he is sooo much better and is slowly learning not to.  I've foudn a lot of it with him is he jsut gets so excited to see me.  If I make him sit down and calm down for a while before I return the effection its much better.

It make take some patience, but keep up with the No etc and I'm sure he'll get better.

Good Luck

Sue, Steve and Taliska                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Puppy Biting
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 02:43:51 PM »
Hi

He is much better now, he no longer nips the ankles and he is biting far less although he is now chewing everything in site, skirting boards , desk, doors and he LOVES to pull out my xbox controller lead when I am playing my games.. ::)                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Puppy Biting
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 06:02:17 PM »
LOL Garry - Millie does this too - she just walks through it and it pops out - and if you clock her going to do it and shout her or say Millie NO she just keeps going and then looks at you as if to "what??" then comes bounding over and jumps on you for a cuddle and play - most annoying at a critical point during burnout 2!!  ;D  ;D  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk