Author Topic: from three meals to two?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
from three meals to two?
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
over the last few days sammy isn't touching his middle meal at about 12ish. i leave it down for about half and hour then take it away. he'll have a quick sniff and maybe a bite or two but that's it. he's 15 weeks now so is it time to switch him to two meals a day, if so, what times? or shall i leave him on three meals for a little longer? thanks in advance :blink:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: from three meals to two?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means, but if he's not interested in the middle one, i'd just cut that one out and leave the other two meals at the same times. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:53:36 PM »
what is the recommended age for going to 2 meals ? ... im interested as charlie is 15 weeks also, he's a gutsy eater .. so is still wolfing down every meal

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
Personally, I think this is bit young to cut down to 2 meals a day - maybe make breakfast a bit smaller, but it is a long time for a pup to go from morning to evening without a meal, imo  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
I think the recommended age for switching from 3 to 2 meals is 6 months old... however, Jesse didn't read the books either and started skipping one meal a day at about 4 1/2 months old. I then changed him to 2 meals at just under 5 months old and he has been doing great.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:45 PM »
Rocky is now 7 months and still on 3 meals a day, which is what was recommened by his breeders, you should not cut a pups food down at such an early age, it is essential that they have the right amount of food in order for them to develop and grow correctly.  Why not speak to your pups breeder to seek ther advice, or speak to your vet for advice on feeding, etc. 

cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »
Rodaidh is 6 months and has been on 2 meals since 5 months (before I got him). I also put Alfie onto 2 meals at 5 months.

Rocky is now 7 months and still on 3 meals a day, which is what was recommened by his breeders, you should not cut a pups food down at such an early age, it is essential that they have the right amount of food in order for them to develop and grow correctly.  Why not speak to your pups breeder to seek ther advice, or speak to your vet for advice on feeding, etc. 

You don't actually cut down the amount of food though - you still feed them the recommended amount but in 2 bigger meals instead of 3 small ones  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Funksmaname

• Site Member
    • Samba @ My Flickr Page
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 02:25:08 PM »
Samba has only been on 2 meals a day for about a month (10 months)? funnily enough it was his first meal he seemed to lose interest in, but going down to two has reinvigorated his morning appetite  :005:
Old Samba's pics @ his Flickr and latest on my Flickr

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
Buffy is still on 3 meals at 5 months.  She went off her food and we thought about cutting down to 2 meals, but then realsied she was teething and her mouth was sore.  Slightly altered her food, and she wolfs it down now the sore tooth has fallen out!  I think she will be on 3 meals for quite a while yet. :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »
we've got a check up at the vets next week so i'll think i'll just wait!

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 05:13:48 PM »
sorry- thanks for all your advice :005: