Author Topic: worried and about to buy a puppy HELP!!!  (Read 2369 times)

Cazzie

Re: worried and about to buy a puppy HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
I wouldn't want to buy a puppy from a litter where the mum growled at me pups remember an awful lot of information and the last thing you want is it growling at you later on.

It is a natural instinct for a mother dog to protect her young especially when the pups are of a young age. I would far rather my dog protected her young than couldnt care less about them. After all as many posts on behaviour issues on here suggest she is only warning you.  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »
I wouldn't want to buy a puppy from a litter where the mum growled at me pups remember an awful lot of information and the last thing you want is it growling at you later on.

It is a natural instinct for a mother dog to protect her young especially when the pups are of a young age. I would far rather my dog protected her young than couldnt care less about them. After all as many posts on behaviour issues on here suggest she is only warning you.  ;)

I understand what you are saying Cazzie - and three weeks old is very early to visit a litter; a lot of bitches might get distressed or tetchy about the presence of strangers  :-\

However, in this case, the breeder was very open about the fact that the bitch displayed this behaviour even before she had puppies; and imo, should not have been bred from at all  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »

I understand what you are saying Cazzie - and three weeks old is very early to visit a litter; a lot of bitches might get distressed or tetchy about the presence of strangers  :-\

However, in this case, the breeder was very open about the fact that the bitch displayed this behaviour even before she had puppies; and imo, should not have been bred from at all  :-\

Exactly so this is why the lady should walk way, but I do not want people to think that it is unacceptable for a bitch to growl at people when she has young as its not.

I would like to add, breeders should ask you to wash your hands remove or disinfect your shoes before seeing the pups.  ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »

But these pups are 3 weeks old not newborns. Yes bitches can be very protective of their puppies especially during the first week or so but I still would not expect a Cocker dam of 3 week old puppies to growl at visitors and as the breeder openly admitted this bitch has a history of nervous behaviour, this suggests the growling was more fear based than motivated by any natural desire to protect the puppies.
Jane

Offline jan67

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »
Thankyou again for the input.
It is so helpful to have different viewpoints.  I would not be alarmed by the growling alone, because I was not concerned by that at the time.  I was more disturbed by the comments by the breeder regarding the cowering in the corner.

Thanks again. It's fantastic having a forum with so many well informed owners to advise!!!!