Author Topic: Hello everyone, from another novice (in more ways than one)  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: Hello everyone, from another novice (in more ways than one)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
Hi Suzie,
Welcome
I am am new to the forum and to having a cocker puppy :luv:
I have a 7 month old cocker Lady ,she is a handful and has her mad moments and attention seeking times ,but i love her deeply
and wouldnt do without her now :luv:
everyone at COL  are so friendly and have some great discussions its great fun, ;) :D

Hope you enjoy your time here and your time on the forums,
look forward to seeing your pics,

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:05 PM »
Thanks Nicola, you must have your hands full, with all your lovelies still puppies really...do you work them?  Loved the piccy of them wet! 

Yes I do and yes I do!  :lol:  They do keep me busy but they're worth it  :luv:  I do work them, well, so far I work Tilly as she's the only one who's old enough and actually trained  :005:  Alfie is currently being trained and will be out this season assuming he gets his act together in the rabbit pen by then and Rodaidh will be ready for next year and I'm hoping to run him in tests before then as well.

Sally looks very cute in your avatar, looking forward to seeing more photos of her  :luv:

I'm sorry I'm a bit ignorant about working spaniels, though I'm sure with the help of this site I will be learning fast  ;)  Good luck with the training.  Sally had her first puppy class last night and thoroughly enjoyed all the good girl treats she had, as well as playtime with some boisterous cockers.  Though I was a bit shocked when we met a 12wk old pure springer who was about 3/4 of the size of Sal..makes me wonder how big she's going to be!  Big and beautiful whatever :luv:

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Clare and beautiful Lady...and thanks to viewing your posts I should now be able to upload some piccys.  Here goes  :shades:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Sprocker_photos/OurSalat6wks.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Sprocker_photos/7wks2.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Sprocker_photos/Sally10wks.jpg
It worked  :D

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
what a cutie :luv:,and so sparkling clean ;)

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 08:13:48 PM »
lovely pics  :luv: shes a cutie  :luv: ;)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »
What a sweetie, I think she looks quite springer like. Sounds like she is going to be big too  ;)

Enjoy the puppy classes they are great fun!

Em x
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Thanks Em, yes I think she looks very Springer like too, but with the chunkiness of a show Cocker. Very full of spaniel affectionate mischief, whatever  :D  Lead walking is proving a mare though, she's so strong already  :-\  I've been looking through other postings for advice.
Sue

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
There are a few different harnesses that can help with this.  If you have a look you can find some advice on them.

The other option is to stop or keep waking in different directions, good luck  ;)

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice Em.  Did you have any problems with Bracken?  Have just checked in on your pics btw and Bracken is a stunner,  I bet she's really hard to say no to with those beautiful eyes  ;)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
Bracken is actually pretty good on her lead... but Jasmine our older dog pulls like a train. As soon as she is at the park she is fine and again on the way back. On the way there she is desperate to get there. We have tried the direct changing thing and at the moment are using a training harness with her. This makes it easier to take her walking, but to an extent masks the problem.  The problem we have with Jasmine is she isn't food orienated, so we can't use treats to praise her when she is good, she just isn't interested.

With my MIL's dog, we used cheese to lead her by the nose when walking. You could try something like that, the trainer at the puppy class should be able to help. Bracken is gorgeous, but I spent many years using my eyes to get what I wanted so I don't fall for her tricks  :005:

Em x

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »
Bracken is actually pretty good on her lead... but Jasmine our older dog pulls like a train. As soon as she is at the park she is fine and again on the way back. On the way there she is desperate to get there. We have tried the direct changing thing and at the moment are using a training harness with her. This makes it easier to take her walking, but to an extent masks the problem.  The problem we have with Jasmine is she isn't food orienated, so we can't use treats to praise her when she is good, she just isn't interested.

With my MIL's dog, we used cheese to lead her by the nose when walking. You could try something like that, the trainer at the puppy class should be able to help. Bracken is gorgeous, but I spent many years using my eyes to get what I wanted so I don't fall for her tricks  :005:

Em x

LOL  :005: I ought to give it a try  ;)  Thanks for your advise...might try it with cheese.  At the moment there are so many exciting smells etc that Sally doesn't seem much interested in treats outdoors.  I'll have to get an extra special treat incentive I think, though cheese might do the trick.  Thanks again.  :D

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.