Author Topic: i need to moan!!!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
i need to moan!!!
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
i posted last week about sammy doing about eight poos a day. i've changed his food to Hi Life tinned puppy food (any opinions) and he's doing must better. we've had three nights where he's been clean and three days, so i am all happy. howver i got up this morning at 5 for a wee myself and sam hadn't done anything. i stood outside for twenty minutes with him to have a wee but nothing. then this is where my moan starts i get up at half 6 and sams done three wees and a huge poo!!!!!!!  >:Daaaarrrgggghhhh. i know i can expect accidents but i'd let him out and he hadn't done anything. ir's so frustrating. then after his breakfast me and son where having ours and there was a stink coming from the kitchen and sam had pooed again. right by the back door and it was open.
that's my moaning done for today- any advice graetly appriciated!! :luv:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: i need to moan!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:12:51 AM »
Is it raining where you are?  My old dog used to hate being put outside if it was raining unless he was going for a walk  ::)  I've been mopping up pee constantly the last couple of days so you have my symapthy  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »
yeah it is raining!!!! i think i hate the rain as much as sammy! :005:

Offline Alex

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
When it's raining Ollie refuses to go out but he manages to cross his legs.......most of the time!

The Smelly Dogs!!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:46 AM »
When I brought Morgan home in February it did nothing but rain and he refused point blank to go out and wee/poo.  I'd have to go out with the umbrella and treats and he'd follow and then start the constact round of "Be Clean" till he eventually went.  He's a bit better now with the rain but not much!

What you are describing sounds very much like my first pup. I'd stand outside with her, it wouldn't be raining, for 30 mins and not a sign of anything and then we'd be back inside 2 mins and she'd go. Toilet training is one of theee most frustating things.........but take heart it will get better.

Even our grown up pooches have their moments too. A few weeks ago Barney, who was toilet trained by 15 weeks and is now 16 months, decided to wee in the lounge despite the door to the kitchen being open and the kitchen door to the drive being open.  >:( It was raining, but he's not bothered by it, so what was that all about? Who knows.  :'( Just one of those blips I guess.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:09:40 AM »
thanks it makes me feel so much better when other people have the same troubles. there a man that lives a couple of doors down who keeps telling me that if i don't get him clean soon he never will. i just panicked i suppose!!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
there a man that lives a couple of doors down who keeps telling me that if i don't get him clean soon he never will. i

Take no notice of him - that's rubbish  >:(

It took ages to get Coco toilet trained properly - not helped by getting her in October so had to spend hours outside in the cold, wet  and dark  >:(   Silly me, I had thought I would crack it in a couple of weeks  ::)  Just persevere and try and stay consistent and patient - it will come in time.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
Hi ya this weather has alot to answer for hey ! i found it very useful to train thomas to wee and poo on command he still does it and has been clean since i had him only had 3 accidents indoors  ;)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
that's brilliant. i say 'toilet' everytime we go out so far this morning only one accident and he was clean all night. i think the frustrating part is is that i know he can do it. we went to bed last night at night and he held it until 7 this morning. it's just frustrating then when he does it in the house!!!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:38:35 AM »
that's brilliant. i say 'toilet' everytime we go out so far this morning only one accident and he was clean all night. i think the frustrating part is is that i know he can do it. we went to bed last night at night and he held it until 7 this morning. it's just frustrating then when he does it in the house!!!

It is frustrating but he is still quite young.  They say you should not expect a pup to be reliably housetrained until it is a year old  :o  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »
Oh I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm fed up with hearing people tell me that my puppy should "be toilet trained by the end of the first fortnight"  What rubbish!  >:D  It's only by reading this site that I don't feel a complete failure. 

Daisy will be 10 weeks tomorrow, and yes, when not raining (is it ever?) we leave the back door open.  Some times she will go outside and wee, but if there's something more interesting going on indoors, forget it!  Anywhere will do!  :005:  We do the whole praise thing when she gets it right, and when she doesn't, we just mop up and ignore it.  I've no doubt we will get there in the end!  :005:

Don't listen to the man down the road - they all have very short memories!  I bet the actual truth was entirely different.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:16:57 AM »
i don't want to listen to him!! he has a four year old springer. i didn't even know he had a dog (he lives two doors down) until i had sammy. they never take him out anywhere not for a walk or even in the front garden. so i don't really take much notice of his comments but still it make me think. thank for your help evryone!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
It's actually a problem of an open door - they don't learn that this barrier needs to be removed so they can got out to do their stuff or the difference between inside and out. I know it's good to have the door open - but it's better to keep it closed with a puppy so that you can reinforce the whole learning to go outside process ;)  You need to praise them as often as possible when they get it right, allowing free range outside without you seeing what they are doing all the time removes those possibilities and make it a longer more difficult process. For the pup he won't be thinging Oh I need a wee I'm outside this is where I do it. He'll simply be thinking I need a wee - there done. Whereas if you are there and he's outside he thinks - need a wee, and you say good lad, well done - so the pup makes the connection. When he goes inside and you see him you can tell him no. He will then make the link outside good, inside not good.

So my advice would be keeo the door shut. Control your pup's time outside. It's also not a good idea to let a pup roam in and out without you wathcing them as they can get into terrible trouble very quickly! And may be doing things you dont want him to but with no correction ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »

It is frustrating but he is still quite young.  They say you should not expect a pup to be reliably housetrained until it is a year old  :o  >:(

i had a freak pup then  :005: no accidents inside  after 12 weeks....

perservere sammy, all pups are different ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
right then i think the open door must be the trouble!! i do tend to leave the door open if we are here. i'll keep you posted how we do today with the door shut!! :shades: