Author Topic: When to start looking?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
When to start looking?
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
I know it's a long way off but we're looking to get a puppy next yr, prob Feb time!  :D

We're off on holiday in September, then obviously it'll be hectic over the Christmas period so thought it's prob best to wait until next year.

Now, I'm just wondering when we should start our search for puppy?  :huh:
How long does it usually take?

Sorry if I sound dim but I'm new to this so please forgive me!  :lol:

I know that I could probably find one right away by looking in free ads and such but I'm sure that's not recommended  :-\

Any advice would be fantastic x
The Herbster!!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: When to start looking?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »
I'm not able to get a puppy before next Summer but I've already got my plans quite well advanced. I felt that it was never too soon to get started on the hunt, to find a breeder I was happy with and to bring myself to her attention. My breeder and I have exchanged a couple of emails and I hope to organise a visit later this year.

There are several sites which list breeders and which advise you to check the breeders yourself. (Inclusion in a list is by itself no reccommendation!) A good idea is to contact the Cocker Club of the area, they'll be able to supply names of suitable breeders.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
Thanks for that :)
I'm getting excited already hehe ;D
The Herbster!!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
I'd start now!  :D

Good breeders plan their breedings in advance so they will know what will be happening in the future. You will also need the time to talk to lots of breeders to find one who you are comfortable with, does all the health tests, and breeds for temperment as well as show or working qualities. If they don't have any puppies or anything planned, they can often steer you toward someone just as good who does.

When I found the breeder of Crackers and Joy, I knew I wanted a puppy from her and was willing to wait as long as it took to get one. She produced the type of dogs I liked, she did all the health tests, she's deadly serious about health and temperment. She wants all her puppy buyers to stay in touch and she is a wealth of knowledge with 30+ years in the breed, and she is more than willing to share that knowledge. She will even take her "kids" in for boarding!

Happy hunting!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
I'd start now!  :D

Good breeders plan their breedings in advance so they will know what will be happening in the future. You will also need the time to talk to lots of breeders to find one who you are comfortable with, does all the health tests, and breeds for temperment as well as show or working qualities. If they don't have any puppies or anything planned, they can often steer you toward someone just as good who does.

Happy hunting!

I agree.

Another good idea is to go to some Dog shows aswell and have a chat with some Breeders  :blink:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Research is almost as much fun as having the pup  :D Get going!

With both my dogs I've found litters I've liked the history of pretty quickly - both were from owners of good quality tested healthy bitches with good pedigrees originally from small show kennels and breed to other good/healthy tested show dogs but neither breeders were proper hobby kennels if you see what I mean - their dogs were just pets and the puppies all bought up in family homes (which is also what a lot of good breeders will do). So you can find good puppies fairly quickly if you're lucky and make a lot of phone calls and send lots of emails asking for info too! Or, do it the other way and find a breeder who's dogs you like and wait for a litter from that's due when it suits you to have the pup!

Best advice is do loads of research don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions (I always ring the owner of the stud dog too if it's not owned by the same person as the bitch) and above all, trust your instincts and gut feelings...

It's likely you will stay as excited until you get your chum too... just so you know  ;) :005: :005:

Lots of luck and fun!
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x