Author Topic: Is there a honeymoon period?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline NikkiG

• Site Member
  • It's all so funny
Is there a honeymoon period?
« on: July 28, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »
Hi to everyone. New to COL and would like to say what a brilliant site. I brought home my new puppy yesterday and can't believe how good he is  :angel:, so do they all start in their new homes this way? Is this the honeymoon period? He slept all of last night, eating well and apart from a couple of accidents has gone outside to wee etc. Eager to play but hasn't been to rough. So when can I expect to meet my little  >:D

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Is there a honeymoon period?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Hi,  :lol: guess they are all different. When I brought Ellie home, she slept through the night for the first week. Great I thought. For the next nine months I was up through the night with her sometimes more than once. But she has never chewed anything and never chewed us and still hasn't, she has just turned a year old. Sasha on the other hand soon settled at night, but was a chewer of everything. Wires, hands everything. Hope your baby stays good for you.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:54:44 PM »
Congratulations on your new pup (photos please!) and welcome to COL!

My experience (two cockers, 18 months apart) is that there is definitely a honeymoon period when they are little angels but gradually it wears off and to be honest I can barely even remember it with my two!  :lol:

But seriously you'll probably find you have good and bad days (or even hour to hour - one minute they're being lovely, cute, cuddly little angels, the next they're tearing round the place like loons, chewing through things they shouldn't, hanging off your trousers with those teeth...).  You do get to know them though and then you can tell their moods a bit better and be more prepared. My two are 2.5 and almost 1 respectedly, some days the older one is the biggest minx in the world, sometimes it's the younger one, sometimes it's both of 'em at once, but in between that they are the loveliest dogs I could hope for.  :luv:

Good luck with your little one.  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline NikkiG

• Site Member
  • It's all so funny
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »
He's absolutely gorgeous and will post some pics as soon as I can, (i'm very biased). I must admit I am looking forward to some devlish behaviour but will probably regret it when he does start  :lol:

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »
hi and welcome ,
i think the honeymoon period lasts about 2 days :005:,there a bit bewildered for the first couple of days ,but once they find there feet >:D
and its true everyone is different,biba has never chewed anything in the house,except for my daughters new pair of shoes that she left near  bibas bed ,so her own fault really :005:,was house trained within 3 weeks,slept in her bed from day one without a murmur :angel:,
but my god did she nip,face hands ,hair,feet,ankles,toes,back (when id turned my back on her for nipping my hand,the little b****r bit my back) >:D,but overall i think we just struck lucky ;)
enjoy your time with the little one,whatever they put you through you will be able to laugh about it later

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 12:14:17 AM »
Hello,

My pup 'Dave' has been home with us for a week and is now 9 weeks. He was brilliant the first night not so good the second then a monkey nights 3 & 4. I changed tactics and he's been fab since - takes himself to bed at 10.30 and is now quiet until 6.40am (3 days in a row!). He is very nippy though and it got worse towards the end of the week - then today he's been blurry marvelous. Been on a 2 hour round trip car journey in his crate in the boot of my car today (his first time traveling like that) There was only a small howl at the beginning of the trip then when we reached destination I found him happily fast asleep on his back in his crate.. :005: He happily pottered around my friends house while I helped them with the garden and wasn't any trouble at all, he got a bit nippy at times but was happy to be locked in his crate for a kip when this happened. No mess in the house today either (mine or my friends!)??? I'm finding it a bit odd because my last pup was much more of a worrier and very hyper (but less of a nipper!). Dave is ridiculously chilled out to the point I'm begingin to feel surplus to requirements! He's happy to do his own thing or join in with us... I'm still adoring having him, even more so than at the beginning - it just feels right having him around. Am a bit nervous that he's toooooo chilled out though..   :-\

If you do have less of a honeymoon moment though, don't worry it will pass  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
It can vary --- Wilf was an angelic puppy but turned into a teenage demon ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »
It can vary --- Wilf was an angelic puppy but turned into a teenage demon ::)

.......like Spike; fortunately he mutated back to a lovely dog after the 'kevin' stage!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Team Grant

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:39:35 PM »
I found the first two days great then she morfed into a peeing, nipping machine... Been home for a week now and we are starting afresh tomorrow with some good advice from site members.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »
There is a honeymoon period? :o  Nobody told Kali.  She was a 'Kevin' when we brought her home and she still is :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:19 PM »
Welcome.  :D
There is definitely a 'honeymoon' period, where they are lulling you into a false sense of security. Then comes the fun.  :005: