Author Topic: What age is recommended for puppies (m)  (Read 3053 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
What age is recommended for puppies (m)
« on: October 24, 2003, 09:05:42 AM »
leaving their mum?

I have asked a few of my doggy friends, and have had various replies. Is there a standard time,or does it depend?

Shona ???                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 09:46:27 AM »
It is against all Cocker Breed Club Codes of Ethics to sell a puppy before 8 weeks old so you won't find a reputable breeder letting a puppy go much before then. It is also against the law for licenced breeders to sell a pup before 8 weeks old (but not all breeders need a licence or have one even if they should) Inexperienced & less reputable breeders seem to want to home their pups as early as possible hence some poor mites leave home at 6 weeks old, which in my experience is too young.                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 06:49:41 PM »
I agree with Jane - some of these unscrupulous breeders let their puppies go far too early but of course they are saving on costs!! :o
8 weeks is the optimum time for the pup to leave.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 07:22:34 PM »
I agree that 8 weeks is the standard age for letting pups go.  In saying that Dallas's breeder wouldn't let me take him home until he was 11 weeks ::)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 07:54:16 AM »
Sophie our 4 year old recently had pups and we wouldnt let any of them go untill 8 weeks.

It seemed a good time for both mum and the pups.  Any earlier and the pups would not have been as prepared to deal with the change of home and loss of mum and litter mates.

The costs of keeping puppies until at least 8 weeks should never come into the equation if the breeder is reputable.  Always it should be whats best for the pups and the mum.

That having been said, I wanted to keep all 7 of our pups but the boss only let me keep 2 ;D

Steve                    

Offline Anny

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 06:08:43 AM »
I have been breeding dogs for more than fifteen years now and i think that 8 weeks is plenty young enough to leave mum.  The pups that stay a week or two longer, there is always at least one in every litter due to holiday commitments etc always settle in without any problem. My next door neighbour was given her dog at 6 weeks and it cried and wouldn't eat properly for a month.