Author Topic: Met breeder, pups and Mum  (Read 8934 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
Re: Met breeder, pups and Mum
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »
no i don't have any issues with any informed owner, Spaniel or other i am just a bit bored of the people who don't know the difference between the 2 types telling me Lilly can't be a pedigree because in their opinion she doesn't look like a "cocker" and the other camp who tell me i shouldn't have a working dog as a "pet". I didn't mean any offence by that comment. I just think that if the breed were spilt officially then it would solve lots of problems people would be able to knowledgeably buy the type of cocker they want and have the ability, time and experience to look after properly..whether that be a show type or worker. Its what ever floats your boat really isn't it?
But then shouldn't there be a common goal to share experiences and knowledge for the best of both types instead of the "sly" digs that some members post? As there is as much in common with both types as there are differences. I sometimes wonder what the "Newbies" must think if I had been told what some of them are i wouldn't bother coming back even if i needed help. Surely we should be singing the praises of these dogs from the rooftops not making someone worry and regret the decisions they have made and be made to feel stupid and ignorant.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2007, 07:40:38 PM »
Also remember this is a public forum. Yes we all share the same breed but we all have differing opinions whether we like it or not  ;) we can't agree on everything all of the time nor will we ever. Also please bare in mind we all have different writing skills, the spoken word would probably sound a lot different than the written word. I know frequently I type replies then end up deleting them because they don't sound the way I want them to.

Heidi, this has now gone way off topic, apologies for that. Some of us are passionate about trying to eradicate less than scrupulous breeders who have no regard for health, type or temperament, regardless of the strain, that is everyones main concern when new puppy buyers begin there search. I hope you can take some good from this thread as that is always the intent regardless of how it may be written  ;)

Offline Heidi

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2007, 07:40:52 PM »
What a great post Alpha.  :blink: In fact I think it's great the way my innocent little post turned into such a debate - it really has been a learning experience for me in more ways than one! ;)

The dog I'm getting is a show cocker - simply because that is the type I have experience of and know that I would be able to look after best.

Also, thanks to yourself and the other posters who are concerned about us newbies. I'm one you don't have to worry about - my spaniel-obsession is only just starting and I'll be here for a very long time! :shades:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2007, 07:44:16 PM »
my spaniel-obsession is only just starting

you wont be able to help that now..it is a rather infectious condition :005: ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »
Good luck with your little pup heidi, remember to post some piccies of her,

Em x
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
As there is as much in common with both types as there are differences.

And that's precisely the reason show-type and working-type Cockers will never be split into separate breeds - for all their differences, they are all Cocker Spaniels first and foremost. There are quite big differences in appearance even within the same type - I trim pet bred show-type Cockers that look nothing like my own Cockers ;) From the photos on here, it's clear there are also different "types" within the working camp but they are all Cockers aren't they?

I'm sure it is annoying when a Working Cocker owner gets told their dog isn't a proper Cocker but all dog owners have to put up with ignorant comments sometimes. I think we had a thread somewhere where members posted the stupid comments they'd heard about their dogs and show-type owners had also been on the receiving end (especially those with less common colours). I can remember being told our first orange Cocker wasn't a Cocker because they only come in black (from someone who owned a black Cocker :005:) You can't take it personally or it would drive you mad ;)

Anyway, getting back on topic - good luck with your pup Heidi but do check whether your breeder has done all the recommended health tests if you want the best chance of getting a happy, healthy pup :D
Jane

Offline gkrg

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »
 :005:

This is why I love this forum.  At the end of the day, It does not matter who we got our pups off, or why we got them.With our love they turn turn out to be our best friends. I can tell Orla anything and I kow she won't tell anyone :005:

Working, Show, Ugly, who cares.

Take care

GK

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
here here! some of the negative comments made are very offputting to new members.Is this website designed not only to inform and advise people about caring for their aniMals but also with the aim of celebrating our love for this breed and supporting each other. The comments about liver dogs and eye conditions made me more worried than informed .Does anyone have some solid facts and figures to back up people s experience and generalization. We new owners are keen to learn..we are bound to make mistakes but by encouraging people s interest and enthusiasm that can only serve to further improve the plight of these beautiful creatures. :D
jo & ruby =)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
Sorry Ruby Ruby Doo but I don't really understand your post - please remember this is a discussion forum and so differences of opinion are inevitable as we don't all the think the same way (thank goodness!). This has been an interesting thread where people have expressed their views without it turning into an argument - just as it should be :D If you've got specific questions about eye problems etc, then perhaps you could start a new thread on the Health or Genetics board.

On that note, I think it's time to put this thread to bed ;)
Jane