Author Topic: Is he a crocker cocker?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
Is he a crocker cocker?
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:12:32 PM »
Hi there
 There are lots of threads about biting I know, and believe me I have read them all - but I want to know if Milo is an extreme case or if he's normal
In short - if he is awake, he is biting and chewing, - if theres nothing there to bite he snaps the air like a crocodile (sounds like one too) thismorning he clamped onto mrPudds thumb and wouldn't release in the end drawing blood.  >:D  >:D Did the same to sister in law but luckily he hasn't got all his teeth yet so was no pain/blood. Like I say I have read and will implement all the previous advice re this just want to know if its normal for a 8wk old pup to do nothing but... :huh:  :'(

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Re: Is he a crocker cocker?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
well not sure if its normal but paddy did it when we got him. ellie did too but not as much as paddy. they discover the world through their mouths i think :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
Yup - perfectly normal, but a lot of people think, like you do, that they have a devil pup on their hands when they discover exactly how bitey pups really are >:D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
Yup - perfectly normal, but a lot of people think, like you do, that they have a devil pup on their hands when they discover exactly how bitey pups really are >:D
yeah but some pups are devil dogs in disguise :005: :005:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »
Sasha was a horror for biting and hanging on to your trouser leg when she was a pup. Ellie on the other hand has never ever done it, not once has she chewed us or anything. so I,m not sure if any of mine were normal either  :005:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
Fraid so. Milo is a horror for biting. He used to do it so much it often nearly reduced me to tears out of pure frustration and made me bleed a coupla times too. He's better now as long as he isn't over excited. I noticed the biggest difference when I changed his food and used time out religiously. Little  >:D !
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:34:29 PM »
                                                 ::)    !!******PHEW******!!    ::)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 07:44:47 PM »
 :005: :005: :005:

Offline Alex

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:15:47 PM »
Ollie was a pain he chewed, bit, shredded EVERYTHING
Poppy isn't too bad apart from the fact she chewed my shoes before I went to work and then gave me a  :wasntme: look!!

The Smelly Dogs!!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 09:57:35 PM »
GOOD NEWS!

Dave has been a total monkey on the biting front and a star about everything else  :luv: I have particular troubles with my 4yr old son and him BUT................... good news is we were a bit naughty and started taking him out 2 days before he was really allowed to and it has made a MASSIVE MASSIVE difference so far! He loves going out and about and for a walk and is a lot more tired when at home - I've also decided to keep him mostly in the kitchen for now so my son isn't a walking target for him (have a baby type gate so he can still see everyone but not eat them  :D) He was horrible between 8-10 weeks, drew blood and was very persistent. He's now 11.5 weeks and although still a biter it's been a lot better the last week or so... hang in there!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 11:09:29 PM »
same here..seems ruby is out on time out more than she is in at the moment! sometimes she ll be nice and then suddenly snap at you! She IS however biting less hard with me..Anyone any idea when this phase is likely to end? I too have decided to change food to burns as removing the additive factor..should eliminate one possible cause of aggression. >:(
jo & ruby =)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
Think realistically (from memory with my last cocker) it's about 4-5 months... it does happen though and suddenly, one day, you realise you've been sitting on the floor waving your hands around and there is no blood dribbling down your arms... it's a truly magnificent moment  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 11:27:57 PM »
 Thanks Yorkshirepudd I owe you one. This thread has quelled my desire for a puppy!(although I am sure I will be broody again when the next puppy pic is posted)

Offline wendline

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 11:47:15 PM »
Patience is a virtue...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »

Plus its also useful to teach pups bite inhibition as well as you can't do that unless they nip you ::) Ruby was an absolute demon but I've had terrier or staffy cross pups who've been horrendous demons but it was all part of the learning process
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!