Author Topic: Is he a crocker cocker?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Re: Is he a crocker cocker?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »
I'd forgotten but one of our labs, Stanley, was a dreadful nippy puppy (as he was the first puppy we'd had I couldn't believe how much those little needle puppy teeth could hurt!!)

However the biting phase did pass & Stan was one of the most gentle dogs you could ever wish for - reading the thread about Michelle's dog who adores children reminded me of how much Stan loved children; as he was quite a large dog unfortunately not all children loved him as much as he loved them - I used to have to anticipate him rather fast if he saw children & wanted to home in on them!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
yep sounds normal ;),
biba was a horror  >:D and if she couldn't get to your hands any other piece of flesh would do,she once bit my back and drew blood , :o i soon learnt to sit on the sofa to ignore her with feet well tucked in :005:
i also had to invest in a old lady pair of slippers (the boot kind) to protect my ankles which worked but that could have been that she was so horrified by the sight of them she kept well away :005:

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 08:12:32 PM »
Hi, my cockers are 5 months and 12 months and i have a two year old hooman and they all live in harmony. My daughter has little contact with the youngest pup as Tia can still be a bit nippy (growing out of it- for the the moment anyway  ::)). She knows not to bother the dogs and is only ever in the same room as them when she is sitting on the sofa watching tv with me. I done the same with Archie my older cocker and they get on like a house on fire! Lots of playing and cuddles without any bad behaviour from either of them - i have only just let them start playing together though!

We ignored any biting/nipping - we just diverted our attention away from the pup - they soon learn! I found frozen carrots a saviour! Even just a cold one out of the fridge helps with teething.

Let us know how you get on - it will get better. Do you attend training classes at all?

Offline mollie

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
Poppy has never bitten :angel:  she has been a little treasure. We have got a black lab as well he was the  >:D one used to have us frightend to walk past him, but has calmed down and is a little :luv:.

Poppy is a bit strange at the moment but think it's because she is in season poor little :luv:

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
We have Daisy (13 weeks) and at Puppy Class last week everyone was complaining about war torn fingers and "crocadile" snapping.  So the teacher declared "Zero Tolerance" on biting this week.  Using the time out method when "no" and ignoring fails. 

I was sceptical. 

However, nearly a week in, and I have to say - it's working.  Yes, we're up and down like yoyos all night, but the results speak for themselves.  She's nowhere nearly as bad as she used to be and that horrendous 8pm - 10pm "mad dog" time, has completely gone.  It's so much nicer.  She does try to nip when she thinks she can get away with it, but we are all consistent in the house with the new routine - and it's working.  I'm a convert!!

Offline BubblesLongo

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
I've just started to use the 'no' and pop him into the kitchen if he doesn't stop and this 'seems' to be working a little.  Fingers crossed he picks it up quickly!!!  You just don't realise what the little tikes will be like do you?!  Wouldn't change him though.  We were sitting down last night watching a fil and he was laying on my lap chewing the toggle of my hoody and then he started to creep up my front until he tried to, playfully, nip my face, but he's just playing and when he did this I put him down for a bit as he was getting too excitable.

Good luck!

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
Thank you guys ! I love this place !
 :luv:

Offline Popsey

• Site Member
    • West Berkshire Gundog Club
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
I have "zero tolerance" on biting as well.  I don't like it and it hurts and I let the puppy know this.

They need to learn bite inhibition, which is something they learn with their litter mates.  They learn the strength of their bite by the reaction of their brothers and sisters. 

Initially with a very young pup, I would allow a few bites and then squeek and remove myself from the puppy and ignore for a short time. This teaches them that if they bite, they don't get to play.

As the pup gets older I don't tolerate any biting at all, however, they are provided with toys to use and this can also be a good diversion from your bodily parts! :005:

If they are having a mad five minutes, running around and snapping at things, they would be placed in another room to settle down.  Puppies are social and they like the company and interaction, if they are deprived of this, the lesson seems to sink in quicker.
Ali & the "chaos of cockers"
www.westberksgundogclub.co.uk