Author Topic: James wellbeloved or burns?  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
James wellbeloved or burns?
« on: October 27, 2003, 11:53:40 PM »
Hi all,
Have now decided after much deliberation to change Jess onto one of the above.  Ever since I had her shes had quite sloppy poos and also passes mucus a bit but no blood.  I can buy JWB at my local pet world down the road but not sure where I would buy burns although I know I could order it online.
I know this is an age old question and you all probably get fed up with the feeding question but they both seem very good quality foods and really not sure which to go for.  I notice Burns is lower in protein than JWB.  From what I read she's not supposed to have slimy mucousy poo.  
This poo issue is really freaking me out.  I just live for the day when she has a normal formed poo!!!!!!!!
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.  Decided not to go for the autarky as thought a higher quality more expensive product must have better ingredients
What does anyone out there think?
Linda                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 12:30:23 AM »
Hi Lindy

It is a bit of a minefield trying to chose the right food, there is so much choice these days ::)  The foods you have mentioned are all of equally high quality, even the Autarky although its cheaper, its ingredients have not been compromised, I am told the reason it is cheaper then the others is because its VAT free ;D  It's really something only you can decide, I have used both the JWB and now the Autarky and I only changed because Indie wouldn't eat the JWB not because of the price, although every little helps ;)

I am no expert on dog foods, basically it comes down to whats best for your dog :)  Although I do think your on the right track with the ones you are considering ;D  Have you tried getting the little sample packs from the pet store? These are FREE and it lets you see your dogs reaction to the food before you commit yourself into buying a large bag :)

Hope this helps you :)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 12:43:51 AM »
Hi Lindy,

I would recommend JWB. It is a quality complete dog food, well priced and readily available from most pet stores and it comes in a variety of flavours  :)
Have you tried the natural yoghurt on your puppy to settle her tummy. To be honest when I got my puppy she had been weaned on Supadog Puppy and raw mince  :-X From the day i brought her home she had VERY runny poo....it was a case of hosing not scooping  :-X so it might well be that the food she is on just doesn't agree with her. Make sure she has plenty of clean water available so she doesn't get dehydrated. When you change over the food just a little a day of the JWB gradually increasing it so by the end of a week she is entirely on the JWB.

Good Luck

Gilly                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 12:44:43 AM »
Hi Emma,
yes there is so much choice really dont know what to do for the best.  Did indie have runny poos on JWB?  

I think whatever I decide I've got to stick with it.  I probably sound really paranoid, suppose sometimes the more you read, the more confused you become eh?  Have sent off for a free sample of the burns but the trouble is then in order to keep trying different foods you're going to upset the pups tum cos its not a good thing to be doing is it?

Have made  a decision!!!   Halleluia, will buy JWB tomorrow and keep her on it for at least a month so I can gauge the result properly.
Doesn't help that I'm the most indecisive person in the world to start off with!*!*!*

Thanks for replying Emma,  sorry to go on but only want to do whats best
Linda                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 12:50:03 AM »
Thaks Gilly,
Will do as advised. JWB it is then.  yes, I have tried the yoghurt but only today and poo still sloppy and runny.

Will keep you posted on the outcome......   hopefully solid and formed ha ha ha
TTFN
Linda xx                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 01:13:26 AM »
Lindy

Don't worry we are guilty of wanting the best for our dogs!!!  I think you are doing the right thing ;D  Indie didn't have any problems whatsoever on the JWB other than I think she just went off it, but Indie has a track record of this ::)  Yep HANDS UP my fault entirely, breeders spoilt her rotten and I did too :-

I used to be indecisive too, but now i'm just not so sure ::)

Good luck

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 07:44:17 AM »
Hi Lindy

You're in line with me re. your indecisiveness ;D  You are right in saying the more you read the more difficult the decision..so many different opinions to take into account ;)

Good luck with the JWB ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 08:08:10 AM »
Lindy

Phoebe is on JWB and she loves it. Her poo is ok too ::) I went through the same thing when trying to decide what food to keep her on. I went for JWB because it is more readily available. I don't have to order it and can just go to the local big Pet Store. It does mean I spend a fortune on other stuff but never mind.

Anita                    
Anita

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 09:45:26 AM »
Paddy is on JWB he loves it and what's nice is there is a variety of flavours so they don't get bored with it!                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 10:38:34 AM »
thanks to all who replied.  Will definitely keep u posted on the results.  Gotta learn to be more laid back and not worry so much!!!!!
TTFN.
LINDA
XXXXXXXXXX                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 11:00:57 AM »
Don't apologise for worrying Linda ::) You only want to do the best for your cocker.
I'd go for the JWB - change over gradually and if the problem persists I would seek veterinary advice.
A lot of dogs are allergic to the grain in many commercially prepared foods. If you have a large freezer and can get hold of raw green minced tripe, try feeding that and I can almost guarantee your problem will be cured - smells horrible but they love it. ;D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 12:40:29 PM »
Linda,
where do  I get this tripe?  If I did get some do you mean feed her this long term?  She had a bit of blood in her poo this a.m. and a bit of green slime????  She is eleven weeks old today and just come back from the vet.  She weighs 5.1kg.  
Got my bag of JWB too.  Will start gradually changing over today with her dinnertime meal. Its back on the panacur tomorrow for three days.  Hope this doesn't upset her even more, although the vet said to go ahead and give it to her even with her runny bum.

I really appreciate ur reassurances Linda.  I hope all goes well with the JWB.  
Just out of interest how much dried food per day at her age and weight?  The greyhound food she's had from the breeder says to feed growing pups to appetite, there are no real guidelines and am a bit confused by the feeding guide on the JWB.  although she has runny poos she always seems to be looking for food and eats every last kibble in the bowl.

Ohhh love her she's good as gold and has a lovely temperament, really loving and a proper little suk!!  She's like my little shadow.  Anyway I'm going on a bit now but would be glad of a bit of guidance on the amounts to give
Ta Linda

Linda P.  xxx                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 01:29:27 PM »
Linda, its very difficult to give guidance on how much food you should be giving as all puppies are different - some need more than what is suggested on dog food packets & some less. You may need to experiment for a while to get the amount right for your pup - go by how she looks. If she is nicely rounded in her body, ribs can be felt but not clearly visible, then she is getting enough food. If she looks skinny to you & seems always hungry, then she may need a little more. It's all trial & error :)

You can get frozen tripe in small quantities from large pet stores like Pets At Home & even some small pet shops may stock it. If you want to buy in bigger quantities, try AMP Meat Products - their web site is at http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 09:31:35 AM »
Hi Linda - Jane has answered your questions I think.  If you live near a pet store that sells it you could always try mixing a bit in with the dried.  It looks and smells revolting but dogs love it.  Hope things improve soon. ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!