Author Topic: Jess's first walk  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess's first walk
« on: November 12, 2003, 10:57:47 AM »
Hi, everyone,

Well, I finally took Jess for her debut intro to the world outside our gate ;D  She wasn't too keen on walking to the end of the pavement and it took me about 10 mins to walk about 20 feet honest!!!!

When we got down onto the field and I let her off she enjoyed it I think, she came back when called and had a good gambol around in the long grass ;D

On the way home however, instead of me pulling her, she pulled me all the way home like a bat out of hell :o  Once inside her own gate, only then did she seem to really relax, and when she got in the house, she just went totally nuts, she was tearing round the lounge and the kitchen like a puppy possessed ;D ;D

I think she was very glad to be home.  I hope her enthusiasm for walkies will develop more as she gets older.  I had to coax her out of the gate as she didn't want to leave her security.

Is this normal for some puppies ???  Feedback greatly appreciated

Linda                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Jess's first walk
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 11:04:18 AM »
Thats great - its good when you can take them out and get them to see lots of new things.

I would be careful about letting her drag you back home. Phoebe still doesn't walk to heel properly and she's over 1yr old now. It might be worth trying to encourage Jess to walk to heel now - using treats in front of her nose etc.

Keep up the good work!!!!                    
Anita

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Jess's first walk
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 08:02:55 PM »
Linda

Congrat's on the first walk- a couple of points. It's an easy trap to fall into with a new puppy, eager to go out etc - you that is perhaps not the puppy ;D but you do have to be very careful not to over exercise. Too much can cause problems with arthritis problems in later life.

Gentle exercise for the first few months gradually building up until 10 - 12 months old is best. Working on what is a very common case for puppies facing the scary outside world is what you can concentrate on now. Similarly, nipping the pulling in the bud is very wise. It gives rise to two problems, one putting strain on growing joints, but the other is that it sets you up for a dog that pulls when grown up. You only have to see how many of us have problems with dogs that pull. They are not a pleasure to walk :'(.

Early training is essential and now is the best time to do that. It'll get her out and used to the outdoors but not over exercise her. Just a few minutes walking up and down in front of the house will do, but don't let her pull. I'll try and find a previous thread where I give some tips for stopping this behaviour and it does work ;D.

Edited:- here's the link - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=2247

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess's first walk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 09:16:28 PM »
Thanks Pam,

She's really not very fussy for walks I don't think.  This evening she would only walk to about the 6th house down and she wanted to come home.  She is very wary of the outside world :o :o ???

I'm very reassured by your post Pam.  I think the more slow and gradual the better as far as Jess is concerned as she is not an over confident pup by any means ;)

I will practice walking to heel on the way back up the street as she goes like a snail on the outward trip :- :- :-

Many thanks, will let you know how I get on

P.S. Do you know of any treats I can practice with as anything except her food goes straight through her, and I'm feeding naturediet now, its a bit difficult to keep in your pocket ;D ;D

Linda                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Jess's first walk
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 10:01:11 PM »
Well all seems to have gone completely normal for Jess then today  :D ;) Glad both you and her enjoyed your big adventure  :)

and I'm feeding naturediet now

:- I thought you had her on JWB  ??? Naturediet is a very good wet food but i would strongly advise (especially with a sensitive tummy) to try and avoid changing food, especially in the 1st few weeks. I'm not preaching by any manner of means just on my own experience  ;) as I now have a VERY fussy cocker through doing this  :(

Gilly                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess's first walk
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 10:09:19 AM »
Hi, Gill,

She went right off the JWB ::)  She would eat her breccy but lunch, dinner and tea, she hardly touched, and she is quite a slim pup so of course I got worried :(

I started mixing in the naturediet at first but she was picking out the naturediet and leaving the JWB ???

Now, she eats all her meals and licks the bowl clean ;D ;D  Her doings are also much more firm on this as opposed to the JWB so I'm definitely sticking with this from now on ;D ;D                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Jess's first walk
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 07:20:26 AM »
Linda Hi,

First walk under the belt, well done.  Would agree with others re pulling.  Better to stop this now before its a habit.

Also keep the walks short while still young.  We made the mistake of over walking our Sophie and although there is nothing phisically wrong with her, one of our breeder friend reckons she is Leggy and that the over walking when she was a puppy contributed to this.  Dont know if its factual but woth knowing I guess.

Steve                    

Offline PennyB

Jess's first walk
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 02:32:54 PM »
I would have thought that the problem with overwalking is actually damage to what are still growing bones                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!