Author Topic: WOW walking off lead  (Read 703 times)

Offline NikkiG

• Site Member
  • It's all so funny
WOW walking off lead
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
Took Bruno to local park tonight we're regulars there now. Anyway Bruno doesn't walk on his lead very well and constantly pulls (tried all the tips from here ). Puppy training starts next week and i can't wait. So tonight OH and kids joined us and we agreed to take some string as I've been too scared to let him off. After about 5 minutes and everybody getting tangled up in it OH said he felt confident enough to let him off. So we did and although I know it was the first time i was really impressed with him, did really well with his recall, kept putting him back on his lead then letting him off again to show him that he would be let off again and it didn't mean the walk had finished. Bruno had such fun, looking bright and alert and his tail was constantly wagging. Chased tennis balls and played football with the kids Best of all my shoulder isn't hurting from being being yanked all the time. Bruno is flat out and doesn't appear to want to go out again for his night time stroll yet  :luv:.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: WOW walking off lead
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »
Well done Bruno.  :luv: Letting them off the first time is scary but the earlier the better.  :D

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »

well done both of you - it is a scary business lol

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
Took Bruno to local park tonight we're regulars there now. Anyway Bruno doesn't walk on his lead very well and constantly pulls (tried all the tips from here ).

Great that you've made the leap into letting him offlead. Training of any kind doesn't happen overnight as there are no quick fixes (it can take several months sometimes), so hopefully somewhere along the way with patience and practice you'll get there with lead walking as well.

Beware also as he gets more confidence he'll be more incliined to become more independent so worth keeping on top of the recall training as well --- so it doesn't come as a shock when he reaches adolescence
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!