Author Topic: How heavy??  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Rae & Marty

• Site Member
How heavy??
« on: November 28, 2003, 05:23:58 PM »
Hi Everybody, great to see the forum up again, didn't know what I was going to do for advice.

I have a query about Woody and his weight.  Recently, over the past week or so he appears to be constantly looking for his food, waiting in the kitchen and eating his food far quicker than usual.  Also two people have commented he looks skinny.

Woody is 14 weeks old and weighs 5.4kg.  He is fed 185g of Hills Puppy spread over 4 feeds during the day.  You can feel his ribs but not see individual ribs.  Does he sound OK.

Thanks for any comments.

Rae & Marty                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
How heavy??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 06:07:21 PM »
Hi Rae & Marty

Did your breeder not provide a diet sheet for Woody :? I would say that he probably isn't having enough to eat especially if he is still looking around for food.  He is still quite small and this is the most important time in his life for building a good sound body.

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
How heavy??
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 03:34:27 PM »
Hi, Rae and Marty,
Dont know if this helps but my girl Jess is fifteen and a half weeks and weighs about seven and a half kg. She seems to have really filled out in the last week.  
I'm not very experienced I'm afraid so can't advise you on the correct weight.  

We worry so much over our precious bundles don't we?
Linda                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

How heavy??
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 09:48:33 PM »
It could be difficult to say about correct weights at that age. I'm not an expert but if a pup is gaining weight then that is a good sign. Am only saying this as I have 2 cockers who are on the small side (but quite normal in every other way). Ruby's final weight is about 10 kg but she's quite petit, and Wilf seemed to gain weight much the same as Ruby at the same sort of milestones (my vet practice has Ruby's old weights on it from her 1st 8 week check).

I'd take your pup along to the vets quite regularly in the early days for a weigh anyway in as its also a very good way to socialize a pup to the vets (mine love going to the surgery :lol: )

Wilf came from the breeder at 8 weeks as one of a litter of nine puppies and so was quite a greedy guts when I got him because he acted as if he was still competing with the other 8. My two are always on the lookout for food and if I let them they would eat until they burst.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!