Author Topic: Make the most of now  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Meganmaid

• Site Member
Make the most of now
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:01:23 AM »
Hi,
My name is Dave.
I need to get this off my chest so if you are reading  this thanks for listening and please forgive me not being great with words.
Be warned. This is not a happy tail.
I have always loved dogs, despite my first experience with them being bitten by one!

After 10 years of being with my girlfriend I proposed, she thankfully said yes and we made arrangements to see the vicar etc etc. Whilst the church was well known by my fiancé the vicar was not and when we went to see him for the first time he just happened to have a beautiful working cocker and five delightful 12 day old puppies in the vicarage.

I bit my tongue while we were there discussing wedding arrangements but the second we left I forgot all that and we got down to discussing the important business of  when I was finally allowed a dog of my own!

It was agreed that now was an excellent time and a few weeks later Meg was welcomed into our home. She came almost everywhere with me and over the next 13 months became the second most important aspect of my life. We spent about 16 hours a day together and we had so much fun. Emotionally she was like the child I do not yet have. I think most people reading this will understand that bond.

In May we got married ( it was fantastic). Meg stayed with my mother in law for our honeymoon  and I don’t mind admitting, it was hard to be parted with her for  a full 10 days.

Not long after it was time to have her neutered (or not) but we decided it was for the best, as we did not foresee it practical for her to have a litter. I always thought it such a shame though as she was so lovely.
I am not sure why but I was nervous about the procedure from the start. I rang the vet to arrange it whilst we were in the park on a walk. The minute I got off the phone I felt sick. Meg loved people, all except that is for the vet. It stemmed from having the kennel cough vaccination which goes up the nose, and from that day she was not at all happy being there.

I knew it was not going to be easy so I arranged for Meg to be seen to first. I held her whilst the pre op was administered and as it did not seem to have much effect I held her while the main anaesthetic was given. Meg went to sleep and I went about my business.

About 50 minutes later I received the call we all dread.

My beautiful little girl had not made it. She had come round but had suffered a heart attack and did not pull through.

Strangely comforting was the fact that the vet and all his team were genuinely as distraught as we were. On the back of what happened he took a month off and re evaluated his masters. It was the first healthy dog he had lost in 25 years.

I do not blame him for what happened.
She was such a ‘daddys girl’ I think she came round saw what she perceived to be a threat and panicked. The vet said that this was too much of an easy excuse for him, and would not accept that explanation but I knew her better than anyone.

I miss her soooooooooooooo much. I have her ashes in the kitchen and often talk to her.

A few weeks ago I was in tears over my Meg but remembering the reasons I got a dog in the first place I contacted a breeder expecting to be on a long waiting list but was surprised to find that they had had a litter only a week before we agreed to go and visit them.

The whole litter was lovely, the mother was lovely and the people were lovely so We have a new friend arriving on Saturday

It is very exciting, scary and also very sad

None of you have met me or Meg before ( except top barks whilst we were in York one day) But the advice on here was very useful relating to Meg and I am sure it will continue to be with our new friend

I have been reading posts on here for almost 16 months but have never actually posted so thanks to all of you who have unknowingly given advice, and thanks to those of you who will undoubtedly do so in the future .

Spare a thought for Meg. She was lovely.

All the best
Dave

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: Make the most of now
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:13:45 AM »
So sorry for you to have lost Meg in such an awfully sudden way, I can understand your heart break, I don't know if you believe but I believe she is waiting at the rainbow bridge. Glad though that it hasn't put you off for life (very nearly did for me) and that your home will soon be full of that wonderful Cocker energy once again. Welcome to COL
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:39 AM »
How absolutely devastating  :'( Your post really brought a tear to my eye. I am so sorry for your loss

I hope your new puppy brings you many many years of joy

Welcome to COL  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 03:51:41 AM »
That's so sad  :'(
Good luck with your new puppy

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:59 AM »
my heart goes out to u and a wee thought in my heart for meg and lots of love and luck
wishes for the new puppy keep in touch and let us know how it goes we love
pictures on here   welcome to COL

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »
Firstly Welcome to COL  ;) and I hope your new arrival is as good as Meg was to you  ;)

I knew I should have stopped reading after 'Be warned. This is not a happy tail' I am typing thro tears   :'( I could really feel the love you had thro your words
Meg will always be in your heart and will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge  ;)

All the best with your new arrival and looking forward to hearing all about them and seeing pics  ;)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 07:24:17 AM »
H Dave

I am so sorry to hear you lost Meg, especially in that way and so young. It is heartbreaking to lose them at anytime :'(

If you've been reading posts for all that time now, you probably know about my Harmy and that I brought home a new bundle not long after Harmy died. For me, iit was the only way to get through it and Aidee has been my little saviour.  :luv:

So good luck with your new puppy. I hope the pup will help heal the hurt for you, just like Aidee did for me ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:33:27 AM »
welcome Dave, and welcome Meg...she is obviously a huge part of your life and has given you many gifts, not least a wonderful love for cockers.

She will also know that you are not replacing her this weekend with your new arrival, but continuing that bond between dog and man that she worked so had to build.

I hope you have many many years of happiness with your new arrival.  Looking forward to your photo's and updates  :D

helen & jarvis x

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:08:11 AM »
welcome to COL.
i'm so sorry to hear about meg it's obvious you love her very much. :-*

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »

Hi Dave and welcome to COL.

Meg was clearly very precious to you, how sad that you had to lose her :'(

I'm sure your new puppy will bring you years of joy :luv:. Well done for making the brave decision of getting a puppy, I'm sure you've done the right thing.

Please post some pics when you can ;)

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
Hi and welcome to col. :D
 So very sad about Meg,  but how lucky for your new arrival who will be loved and cherished by a caring owner.  :luv:
Look forward to seeing pics.
Barbara

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
Oh so sad I can hardly see for tears, you make the right decisions for your pets and accidents happen. I am sure whilst you will not forget Meg you will have great fun and comfort with the new pup.

Keep us posted with pup, pictures and how you are.

Good luck

Viv

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
I can only echo the sentiments of all the previous posts :'(
But so glad you are welcoming a new little of bundle of mischief into your heart and home. It sounds like Meg had a truly wonderful life in her short time here, and those qualities you can now give to your new friend :luv:
Take care, and welcome to COL :D

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:37:16 AM »
Hi Dave - like the others I have a lump in my throat after reading this  :'(.  I think for many of us our little boy/girl have a place in our hearts just as would a child and to lose Meg so young...life really does not make alot of sense sometimes and is so unfair.

But you now have another bundle of joy coming your way and Im sure Meg will be watching over you both.  Welcome to COL...and looking forward to your 'baby' photos.

Take care

Kel and Fenn
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
  • My Beautiful boy Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
Hi Dave, what lovely news that you are going to have a new puppy. How brave also after the experience you have had. Good Luck and piccys please.

Gail