Author Topic: training certain types of cockers.  (Read 2920 times)

Offline adie

• Site Member
training certain types of cockers.
« on: December 05, 2003, 08:59:23 PM »
Hi  again,  im afraid i have to ask what might seem a stupid question, how ever this has been bothering me..... at this stage i am trying to find out which type of cocker would suit our family/and lifesyle etc.
i understand and relise that each dog is different,  and a dog to a certain degree is what its owner makes it. but... would a working dog be easier to train then a show /pet dog :?: . i ask this simply because i have seen how obediant a gun dog really can be. im sure with enough time and patiance most dogs could be trained well, how ever i do feel i need some help with this. your coments will be gratly appreciated.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 10:13:51 PM »
We had a working cocker in our training class a few months back. Unfortunately, the owner had an absolutely horrific time trying to train this dog. By the time they left never to return, the dog wouldn't even sit on command let alone sit stay. Anytime we had to stop, the dog was leaping about all over the place and my heart really went out to the owner. But to be fair, he wasn't putting over any authourity at all and his commands were practically whispered :roll:  I think with a dog as excitable as that, you would have to be firm with your commands and never give up :) In contrast, my Dallas(show type) is a wee gem :wink:  :D

So, weighing up my evidence, I would go for the show type cockers :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 10:20:45 PM »
HI Adie

I have never owned a working cocker but I have a friend who does and he (the cocker, not the friend  :D ) is very energetic.  He is also very well behaved - but even he (at 4 1/2yrs) has his days when he'll test how far he can push it.

I think you probably get out what you put in and it takes a lot of time and effort to train any dog.  From what I've seen, the stubborn streak is a general cocker trait rather than a show/working trait.  I'm no expert but if you are wavering between working and show your probably best making your decision based on what activity level would most suit your family.  Morgan had a 45 minute walk at 5.30pm and has been zonked out on the floor since then  :lol:

That's the great thing about cockers, as well as their fantastic nature and the variety of colours, they also come in hyper and super-hyper versions :lol:  :D  :lol: .  The less energetic show is definately best, but that's obviously just my opinion  :wink:  :)  :wink:

Goodl luck with your decision making and your search  :) .                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline adie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:50:07 PM »
i read your comments  :) it sounds like working dogs are harder work but then again reading some of the comments on the behavier list...cockers generaly sound like more hard work than the kids. i wander if they will make my kids tired,or will the kidds make the dog tired :lol:  :) we wil see... thanks people.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 10:55:36 PM »
I agree with the others Adie. Its easy to see an obedient gundog & think that they are naturally obedient when really the owner/handler has put an awful lot of time and effort into training their dog to be obedient. Working Cockers can make excellent pets but they are very busy little dogs & have been bred to use their brains & work for their bread & butter :wink: If you can offer an active lifestyle with plenty of mental stimulation, then a Working Cocker may suit you but I don't think they would be easier to train than their show-type cousins. If you want to talk to someone about whether a Working Cocker would suit you, ring Mrs Rhodes (Field Trial Secretary of the Cocker Club) on 01273 890701 - she is very helpful I understand.                    
Jane

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 11:49:40 PM »
Hi adie

try contacting the Norwich Gundog Club (Mrs A Polly, Tel: 01603 701087)
they should be able to answer all your questions

good luck

ian

Edited to give contact number for Norwich Gundog Club                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 07:07:44 AM »
Hi Adie

Just read your posts.  Not an expert by any means but would agree with other comments, Hyper or Super Hyper! Thats the basic type.  Its what you do with the type you choose!!  What you put in to the training of your dog will ultimately pay dividends.

We have three, one Hyper and two Super Hyper.  The pups are learning fast but its hard work.  Even the best behaved Cocker will let you downand and leave you frustrated and confused. Ha Ha!  Thats just the way of things with a Cocker.

Good luck

Steve