Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 4124 times)

Offline bigpud74

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:21:26 PM »
Hullo can anybody recommend a pet insurance company as I am really confused :huh: have been searching online for a while and need to get it sorted asap
Chewie 14/07/2007

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:24:09 PM »
try more than find them quite reasonable ;)
 and you get the keepsafe free and when my hubby got his car insurance got 15% off online and M and S vouchers for £25
 try get a quote ;)

let me know how you get on  :luv:

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »
Monty is insured with 'More Than' too....I found their level of cover vs. cost the most reasonable when I looked into it.  But it's been 8months now since I looked so maybe things have changed??

Jen x

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »
Sam is insured with More Than too.  I thought there cover was good for the monthly premium.

You just need to look around.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »
I'm afraid it's a complete nightmare and you just have to go with your instinct.   >:(  Do check that you are getting life cover and not just the first 8 years.  ;)  Which I think is more than a bit naughty of these insurance companies.  We finally ended up with Pet Plan - they do several different "bands" so you can choose one to suit your needs.  

I found all the insurance companies ranged from £13 per month up to £35 per month - so I played safe and plumped for one in the middle!  

Good luck!

Kay
-x-

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:01 PM »
I would recommend you decide what cover you want first - and then shop around to find the right policy.

There is no point in comparing the prices of each as they are all different and provide different levels of cover. 

A lot of people have found out to their cost that their policy doesn't cover what they thought it did...they really are not all the same, so it pays to do your research, as you will be with them for a while - once you claim for a condition, it is excluded by any other company you might want to change to  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:04 PM »
M&S and Pet Plan are amongst the most comprehensive insurers out there but they are both expensive.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:49:17 PM »
once you claim for a condition, it is excluded by any other company you might want to change to  :-\

I'm not sure if that is the same for all insurers Rachel??  Like you say they are all different.

Some stop paying out once you've reached their maximum claim amount for a specific condition, some when you've just reached their maximum claim amount.  The condition-specific exclusion thing can also be lifted after a certain time limit...my parents Rotties both had skin trouble when they were pups and one was excluded for five years.....no claims in those five years and he's all fine to claim for skin complaints again now!!!!)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
once you claim for a condition, it is excluded by any other company you might want to change to  :-\

I'm not sure if that is the same for all insurers Rachel?? 

If you've found one that doesn't exclude pre-existing conditions, can you let me know? I have not found one yet - it would be useful to know, especially of the M & S premiums keep climbing  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 10:55:58 AM »
We are insured with Pinnacle (£21 a month) and they excluded us from claiming on any gastro-intestinal problems because we took Roxy to the vet the second week we had her 'cos she had runny poo (was a one off...).  We are appealing at the mo.  Watch them 'cos they will do anything to try and aviod paying out or letting you claim.

Money grabbing Bas****ds

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »
September, I think you'll have a job on your hands with that one regrettably, I suppose it depends on what your vet says in his notes  :-\

As Rachel points out, any treatment that the dog has received prior to insurance is generally excluded - it will have been endorsed on your policy.  It wont just be Pinnacle, it will be a decision across the board with 99.9% of insurers. 

With any endorsement you can query it at renewal, they may then make a decision to continue with it or take off the endorsement - however, I presume that you are claiming for another tummy problem so it is doubtful that they will - I would be careful with other insurers too.

Offline september

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
We didn't claim on it, just mentioned that she had been to the vet when we filled in the application.  Were not trying to claim on anything subsequent either, we just want it removed!

vet wrote a really good letter telling them it was a load of crap and any further problems she had would be unrelated so we are waiting for their reply!

I know it wouldn't just be them, thats why we decided to take their policy even with the exclusion 'cos the same thing would have happened as soon as we declared that first vets visit!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »

Right I understand but dont understand this comment  :-\   Not wishing to enter into a debate, but was just wondering why you think they are money grabbers ??   :huh:

Money grabbing Bas****ds

Offline september

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »
I made that comment because I think they have unneccessarily placed an exclusion on the policy to stop us claiming.  Therefore meaning they don't have to pay out.

I think they will avoid paying out if they have to, even though we pay each month so that we can claim if we need to.  Thats why I think they are money grabbing!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
If you pay monthly you dont have to abide with the 12 month contract.   If you feel that their terms are unreasonable, try another Insurer, but do make sure that you make a FULL disclosure, some might not impose the restrictions but quite a lot will  :-\