Author Topic: We got bad news at the vets  (Read 3325 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
We got bad news at the vets
« on: December 06, 2003, 10:53:05 AM »
Our orange roan boy, Indie, has a cataract in his left eye. The vet says we should get our money back from the breeder, and that he can operate when Indie is older. I have a friend that is a radiographer at the local vet school, so she knows a lot of people there so hopefully we can work something out.

We have had a full refund from the breeder, and she also said we could return him if we wanted, but we have decided we are keeping him. He can see well enough at the moment to get by, and is doing everything he should be doing. It's been a very emotional time - we did consider giving him back, but I couldn't imagine life without him now, he's been such a great boy from day one. He's such a loving puppy, a real charmer.

I just wanted to let you all know

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 11:12:52 AM »
Dear Shona

So sorry to hear of your bad news :cry: poor little Indie and poor you :cry: and for the cataract to appear whilst Indie is so young.  

All the best                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 12:18:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about your little boy Shona :(  
Hopefully all will be well once hes older and can have his op.
Your breeder must have been very shocked as well, but it's nice to know that they would have taken him back.
There are responsible breeders out there  :)

Kel
 :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 12:19:23 PM »
Sorry to hear your news Shonajoy - congenital cataracts are present at birth & are not always hereditary but at least your breeder has been responsible in offering to take your pup back & giving you a refund. Congenital cataracts are under investigation in Cockers - some are thought to be hereditary, others can be caused by infection/trauma whilst the pups were developing in the womb. Cataracts can be detected early (before sale) if breeders take their litters to be screened by a veterinary opthalmologist - a few breeders do this already but not many as yet I'm afraid.                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 02:50:20 PM »
Thanks all of you - the vet said congenital, I didn't realise that they could have been caused by trauma, I did just assume they would be hereditary. He's the only one in his litter to be affected, and was the only boy.

We are just taking things as they come, he's a total joy, and this just makes him extra special. I didn't think I'd be so in love with him already, but we'd had him a short time when we found out, and just knew we had to keep him.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 05:33:21 PM »
So sorry to hear about Indie :(  But like you said, it just makes him that bit more specila. Bet it won't stop him getting up to mischief :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 07:57:31 PM »
:cry:
Dear Shona,
So sorry to read your post on Indie. I do hope you all get on ok with things in the future. It must have been a very hard time for you to discover this when he is so young.
Sending lots of good wishes.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 09:59:28 PM »
Hi Shona

I just wanted to say i'm sorry to hear about little Indie :cry:

Best wishes to all of you

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 11:22:24 PM »
Hi Shona, so sorry to hear about poor Indie but I'm glad your keeping him and I'm sure he'll have a great wee life no matter what. I bumped into a cocker a few months ago in a local park...a liver roan actually  :wink:  that had cataracts in both eyes. The owner had rescued her and to be quite honest..what a bundle of fun she was  :lol:  she was tearing around with Butty and Roana quite the thing, her eyesight didn't seem to bother her at all she was such a lovely wee character  :D

Gilly