Author Topic: chocolate puppies  (Read 2784 times)

Offline adie

• Site Member
chocolate puppies
« on: December 07, 2003, 11:30:45 AM »
Hi again,  our family has been offered the chance to view a chocolate coloured  working dog  :) ,has any one got a picture thay could post of a choclate cocker? we have never seen a picture of one . I was thinking this may be a good move before we travel the hundred miles just to view him .I would be very gratfull of your help with this..alos i would appreciate your comments on any thing to do with the working type cockers. a nice chap called Ian gave me a link a couple of days ago which i will visit . but the more i get from you guys/girls the better , you can't beat hearing from people that have been their and done it. :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
chocolate puppies
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 03:05:26 PM »
Adie, please talk to someone about whether a Working Cocker would suit you - have you rang Mrs Rhodes (I gave you the number on the previous thread)? She is unbiased & will talk to you honestly as well as having years of experience with Working Cockers. You really do need to talk to someone before you take the plunge I think. Has the breeder who has offered you this puppy asked you lots of questions to make sure you know what to expect from a Working Cocker & to make sure you can offer the right kind of home? There are some breeders of Working Cockers (as there are of the show-type) who are only interested in making a sale - not saying the breeder you have contacted is like this but you do need to be on your guard! You need to do a lot more homework I feel - if you don't know what a Working Cocker looks like or much about them, then you are probably not ready to take on a puppy just yet. Sorry to sound negative but I wouldn't want you to make a mistake you might regret later.                    
Jane

Offline adie

• Site Member
chocolate puppies
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 04:12:46 PM »
well... im very glad that jane and dessie have given their comments i certainly dont want you to think that im jumping in with both feet to quickly,   im not prepared to go and get a working cocker at a whim,  im not gona get any dog untill i know the in's and out's of them.it is very dificult to pass judgment on when and what to do. especially when you have such good advise coming from people in the know like yourseves.i will be ringing mrs rhodes to get more information on the breeds.i will say... in my quest to get knowlege,  i have found that people who have (show) cocker will say how good they are, and also those that have working gun dogs will say exactly the same  :? so with this info its hard to come to some sensible decision. im hoping that an unbiased opinion will help me out.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
chocolate puppies
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 05:55:12 PM »
Very sensible Adie :) You will find that most Cocker lovers are biased in favour of the type they own - it's human nature :wink: Could you perhaps arrange to visit a Working Cocker breeder/owner near to you? We often have people thinking about getting a Cocker visit us so they can meet adult Cockers "in the flesh" & see for themselves what they are like - puppies are always irresistable but meeting fully grown dogs & talking to their owners face to face can very useful in helping you make up your mind.                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
chocolate puppies
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 05:57:25 PM »
Hi Adie  :)

I think the reason you've found that people with working cockers say they're good and people with show cockers say they're good is that the people you've spoken to have made the right choices for them.  There is no correct answer to which type is the best.

Once you've read all the information that you can get hold of and spoken to as many people as you can, you need to make your decision based on your individual situation. Is the puppy that you've been offered ready to leave it's mum soon?  If it is, I'd say that it would be best to wait, spend the time gathering more information and begin your search when you have made the final decision about which type suits you and your family best.

Best of Luck

Shirley   :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline adie

• Site Member
chocolate puppies
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 07:50:52 PM »
so we've decided to not get the puppy, valid points taken from every one,it will be right ....at the right time for us!! :) .funny enough  the seller of this particular pup was most embarrassed.. :oops:  because the original byer turned up and paid for the dog.who knows maybe they were very keen just to make a sale.. a learn for the day must be...... blow caution to the wind, you never know how it will tern out!!! :)  :wink: thanks to everyone.