Author Topic: Feeding a puppy  (Read 1979 times)

Offline astankovic

• Site Member
Feeding a puppy
« on: December 12, 2003, 12:33:44 AM »
When is the right time to start feeding once a day?
Our cocker is 6 months old and we feed him 1 cup of Eukanuba Puppy Medium Breed twice a day.
It seems like he gained some weight, probably because we don’t take him to walks as much as before since it got colder here.

Are we feeding him too much? Hard to believe, since it seems like he is always looking for food, sniffing our hands, licking our fingers, jumping on the table when we eat, etc…

Thanks,
alex                    

Offline PennyB

Feeding a puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 12:15:04 PM »
I don't know what others do but as a pup mine was fed 4 small meals a day and now at 6 months he's down to 2 a day and will remain so from now on (he's on Autarky puppy/junior).

Wilf has just had a growth spurt and gained 2 kg in 6 weeks (now 9.8 kg, but I have small cockers), but he gets walked whatever the weather.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Feeding a puppy
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 02:00:37 PM »
Phoebe has been on 2 meals a day since she was about 8 months old and she will stay on this pattern. We have her into a routine and the morning meal helps to settle her down for the morning.

She also gets walked whatever the weather. She weights about 9.5kg now (not weighted her recently), but she only a titch. Its hard to say for sure how much to feed your dog as they are all different. Phoebe is on JWB and gets 6oz a day in total. She also gets a couple of biscuits a day (after walks, when I go to work etc). Sometimes we mix in the Naturediet to her evening meal but reduce her dry food.

It seems to suit her but sometimes she is a bit more hungry so she gets a bit more. I'm lucky that she has never been a picky eater but then she's not a greedy guts.

Hope this helps!

Anita & Phoebe                    
Anita