Author Topic: Toilet training 3rd time around  (Read 894 times)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
Toilet training 3rd time around
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
Hi  My Cavvy Maisie was really easy to toilet train but our new cocker Annie is proving hard....shes 13 weeks and just still wees in the house without a thought...weve rewarded her for going outside etc...but seems to go willy nilly...you can take her out then shell do it in the house...
sometimes shell use her pad other times just anywhere..youd think wed know by now having had 3 dogs go through this!!!

Also we're trying to leave her for short times to get used to it but guarantee shell wee or poo despite having emptied her before!!!!

Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline martinvicky

• Site Member
Re: Toilet training 3rd time around
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
Hi,  not to alarm you but I am having a similar problem with my 2 Cockers who are now 18 months old.  I have a 3 year old Springer who was a piece of cake to train, however my Cockers have been a nightmare - the only time they are good is when I crate them but I don't really want to have to do this all the time.  Sometimes I can leave them all day and they can be really good but other times I only have to pop out for 15 mins and I will come back to a mess.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
Mook, the trouble with using puppy pads is that you're effectively training your pup that it's ok to "go" inside sometimes which can be confusing - it would be better in my experience to concentrate on teaching your pup to only "go" outside by taking her outside as often as possible and staying with her until she goes. Keep repeating a key phrase (we use "hurry up") and then praise for a good result. Eventually your pup will learn what you mean when you say "hurry up" (or whatever you choose as your phrase) and you'll have a pup who will toilet on command which is very useful :D  Keep at it - your pup is still very young but with patience and perseverence, she'll get there ;)
Jane

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
Yes some are slower than others but will get there eventually  ;) I had my Shrekkie when he was with us fully house trained at 10weeks but he was an exception to the rule. Just persevere and you will get there  ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Keep at it - your pup is still very young but with patience and perseverence, she'll get there ;)

and relax --- I'm a great believer in that all pups are different and even though it may take longer in some or some days I feel I'm going backwards it all works out in the end (and if an accident happens it happens I just clear it up)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
Can only echo the advice Jane has offered, get rid of the puppy pads/newspapers and take her out and stay with her until she has gone and praise like a loon for doing so. Keep at it and all of a sudden it will click for them
Caroline and Alfie