Author Topic: Growing patterns and timescales  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Growing patterns and timescales
« on: November 21, 2007, 04:41:10 PM »
Dave's body parts seem to have grown at different rates and times. This week, his back has got longer but his legs haven't  ph34r PLEASE tell me I'm not going to end up with an extra hairy sausage dog? He's 6 months in one week (thanks Kay!) can anyone tell me when they generally stop growing?

Thanks
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Growing patterns and timescales
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
Rodaidh is a year in December and he is a bit of an odd shape, I posted about it earlier as I was measuring him for a Mekuti jumper last night and kept thinking 'well that can't be right'. He looks much smaller than the other two as he's much more finely built than them (not that that's difficult, I've seen hippos who are more finely built than Tilly  ph34r) but he's got really long lanky legs and he's as long in the back as Alfie (who is long!) but Alfie is a much 'bigger' dog than him  :huh:  He has thankfully mostly grown into his skin now as he had far too much of it to begin with and looked like a shar pei but he still pretty much looks like a 6 month old puppy.

So if you have an extra hairy sausage dog then I have a sausage dog on stilts... maybe we could start a travelling show  :shades: :lol:

'freaky puppy? where???'  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
So if you have an extra hairy sausage dog then I have a sausage dog on stilts... maybe we could start a travelling show  :shades: :lol:

Heh heh good plan (then I get to cuddle the gorgeous Rodaidh too  :luv:) alternatively, I might make Dave straddle the ironing board and tie a brick to each leg for a week and see if that helps  ph34r

Anyone remember when their cockers stopped growing?

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
Rodaidh is a year in December and he is a bit of an odd shape, I posted about it earlier as I was measuring him for a Mekuti jumper last night and kept thinking 'well that can't be right'. He looks much smaller than the other two as he's much more finely built than them (not that that's difficult, I've seen hippos who are more finely built than Tilly  ph34r) but he's got really long lanky legs and he's as long in the back as Alfie (who is long!) but Alfie is a much 'bigger' dog than him  :huh:  He has thankfully mostly grown into his skin now as he had far too much of it to begin with and looked like a shar pei but he still pretty much looks like a 6 month old puppy.

'freaky puppy? where???'  :005:

rodaidh will fill out big time in the next 6 months, i think his bone growing is almost at an end, now it's time for muscle...i had a finely built slim working cocker at a year but now he has muscled out he looks quite sturdy (but don't you fear, you can still play a tune on his ribs  ;) )

maybe you're noticing it more cos he hasn't got as much coat as Alfie?

as for dave, he'll even out, I promise :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:05:44 PM »
rodaidh will fill out big time in the next 6 months, i think his bone growing is almost at an end, now it's time for muscle...i had a finely built slim working cocker at a year but now he has muscled out he looks quite sturdy (but don't you fear, you can still play a tune on his ribs  ;) )

maybe you're noticing it more cos he hasn't got as much coat as Alfie?

Nah, it's definitely cos he's a freaky puppy  :lol: :lol:  He's stopped growing upwards and lengthways in the last month or so so I know I'm just waiting for him to grow outwards a bit more and muscle up. Alfie was very similar although on a bigger, sturdier scale, he was really skinny this time last year when he was pretty much exactly the same age Ro is now whereas now he's almost 2 he's still skinny but very muscly along with it. I'll be glad if Ro doesn't end up quite as big as the other two though, two overgrown workers are enough for one house  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:02 PM »
Awww poor Rodaidhs ears will be burning. He is perfect the way he is, squidgy chops and all! He'll always look small beside Miss Fluffball and Mr Stretch! If you want him to look more butch just borrow Krumble...  ;)

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
Honey is now 9 months and i would say she has stopped growing now (hopefully!!  ::))

She is the same size, if not bigger, than Molly who is 3 tomorrow - although Molly is a dot - but  Honey looks lovely and grown up now, doesnt have her spangley legs anymore and her waistline looks perfect (if i do say so myself!! :005:)

Dave will deffinitely grow into his body soon and as for Rodaidh he is lovely Nicola - i thought he looked gorgeous when i met him at the Lakes!!  :luv:

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »
Hey Hannah when is Dave's bday? I was sure he was a week older than Callie (you picked him up the week before we picked her up) and Callie is 6months next thursday...

Know what you mean about the growth being in different spurts though, Callie is in the Short but long phase :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:28:59 PM »
Hey Hannah when is Dave's bday? I was sure he was a week older than Callie (you picked him up the week before we picked her up) and Callie is 6months next thursday...

Know what you mean about the growth being in different spurts though, Callie is in the Short but long phase :D

Ummmmmm.... hang on!

Right, dug his pedigree out now so I REALLY do know  :005: 25th May (07 obviously!) he was born, I picked him up the day he was 8 weeks.. not impatient at all  :005:

OMG!!!! That means he'll be exactly 6 months when he goes on his first COL meet.. this sunday the 25th Nov!  :D :D :D

Is Callie short legs or short body at the mo?  :005:

Hannah c

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Toby is   :o 7 months now its gone so fast but i think his stopped growing now he just needs to mature.

It can depend on the lines aswell some lines take longer to grow ect

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
We had to wait until the sunday after she was 8weeks to pick Callie up :) those extra days were sooo hard!

shes got short legs and a longish body :) also not sure if she's dark or light roan at the moment colour wise as she's in the middle... lightish bum... darkish middle bit... lightish shoulders and then her black head! almost stripes!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 09:43:17 PM »
Some time ago I went to a seminar on conformation and movement (part of the KC judging requirements) and the speaker explained that a dog grows from its feet upwards (think about it, puppy's always have big paws) and from the back end to the front, with the lower jaw being the last area of developement.

This lady had photo's of an Irish Setter pup through different stages of its growth and (by her own admission) in a couple of them it looked downright hideous and you thought it'd never make a show dog........ it went on to become a Show Champion and worthy of it too.

Not all dogs turn out quite the same, but as long as they've got a leg in each corner and are fit and well then I think ultimately that's all that matters. :003:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »
Some time ago I went to a seminar on conformation and movement (part of the KC judging requirements) and the speaker explained that a dog grows from its feet upwards (think about it, puppy's always have big paws) and from the back end to the front, with the lower jaw being the last area of developement.

This lady had photo's of an Irish Setter pup through different stages of its growth and (by her own admission) in a couple of them it looked downright hideous and you thought it'd never make a show dog........ it went on to become a Show Champion and worthy of it too.

Not all dogs turn out quite the same, but as long as they've got a leg in each corner and are fit and well then I think ultimately that's all that matters. :003:

That's really interesting, thanks Michelle - also explains why Dave's lower puppy canines didn't fit in his mouth but as his adult ones have come through, his jaw has to have got wider and they've dropped into place nicely (phew!)

Bit concerned that if they grow from the bottom up, his legs have been missed out though!  ph34r

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »

that's really interesting, especially about way a dog grows...i knew jarv was fully grown when the very last nose wrinkle disappeared  :'(

I love your last comment michele about what matters, that's so true  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
Bit concerned that if they grow from the bottom up, his legs have been missed out though!  ph34r

Perhaps Dave needs to attend a seminar  :005:

Halle's another one with little legs, she's only 14" at the shoulder, doesn't hinder my little pocket rocket though.  :luv: :shades: