Author Topic: Peeing in the house - at 4 months! HELP!!!!  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Peeing in the house - at 4 months! HELP!!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
I know it is very frustrating at times but positive reinforcement, time and consistency is the only way forward with this one IMHO.

Absolutely.

Smacking or chastisement is not the way.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 10:42:10 PM »
I think you've got the gist by now that every dog is different and so should be treated as such.  ;)

My first three puppies were clean overnight in their crate within two weeks of coming home and toilet trained by 3 1/2 - 4 months.  I thought my technique must be spot on with them all doing so well.  And then came along Morgan.  ::) He was a nightmare to toilet train, constantly messed in his crate and in the house.  Even now, and he is 1 on Saturday, if he is left six/seven hours without going out for a week we can wake up to a puddle. Touch wood its been about two months since the last puddle.

I have been looking after a Malamute Pup and I've been toilet training her. She has done really well, at 12 weeks old she knows "be clean" means she has to toilet and we've not had any accidents inside for almost two weeks.  I wouldn't be so bold to say she was toilet trained but we've certainly made good progress.

As a reward for toilet training I use a tube of Primula cheese, when they toilet outside they get a little squirt into their mouth.  I save the Primula to reward only toileting outside whilst they are toilet training to make it a special reward. After a while the dog see's the tube come out that becomes a cue to go. Once that they are clean I start to use it as a reward for other things.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
 Even now, and he is 1 on Saturday, if he is left six/seven hours without going out for a week we can wake up to a puddle.

Well if he doesn't go out for a week I'm surprised it's just the one puddle  :o :lol: :-*
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »
I think everyone has a good point. Annie does rum to the back door if she needs to go. But if im not there we do get accidents. But she ill also wee on command, we've done this with all 3 dogs. Its not foolprooth as there all different. Annies bladder is a lot weaker so its going to take longer...just patience and not stressing really
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
 Even now, and he is 1 on Saturday, if he is left six/seven hours without going out for a week we can wake up to a puddle.

Well if he doesn't go out for a week I'm surprised it's just the one puddle  :o :lol: :-*

ph34r Oh god my brain really is addeled.  ph34r  I blame all these dogs!  :lol: :lol:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 12:21:36 AM »
personally if it was my dog I'd give the house a complete clean to make sure that there were no dog pee smells for them to treat as an acceptable space to pee, buy some puppy pads to start training from scratch and  taken them out a little more often making sure that they have been several times before going back in doors.

I find with Ayla that she will pee and then happily go back in doors but if I walk her and give her a run she pee's several times will have a couple of good poos and thats that.  I take mine out first thing before they eat, again after they have eaten and had a chance for their meal to go down, early afternoon, early evening and then last thing at night before bed... but i don't work and my dogs are crated overnight and don't like to pee in their own space. 

My weim would hold it for days rather than pee in the house but I don't think Ayla would be so picky if she was desperate.

Good luck with the training its hard work but the puppy pads really do help as does having a key word.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »

Honey just eats the puppy pads....  >:D      :005:   
We got a bag but never really used them.
She was already semi-trained to paper when we got her, so have kept paper down for through the night and if we have to go out. 
She's getting there with house training, and generally the only accidents are when we are not about, so not her fault! The move from 4 meals to 3 seems to have put us all off kilter a little, though.

The strange thing with Honey is she will poo while out on a walk, but won't wee - she races home to get out to the back garden to wee (which makes the non-lead-pulling training very hard work!).  >:(

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 07:20:52 PM »
you can weight them down and start your 'leave' training if she has a habit of eating them.  be firm.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:46 PM »

The strange thing with Honey is she will poo while out on a walk, but won't wee - she races home to get out to the back garden to wee (which makes the non-lead-pulling training very hard work!).  >:(

This is very common.  ;)  Barney and Morgan were like this and so is Shimmy, who is 13 weeks old.

Morgan, like Honey, would poo on a walk but not wee. Barney at 4 months old went from 9.30am to 6pm when we took him on a day trip to the seaside. He just would not go anywhere but our drive, as soon as we got home it was like the flood gate was opened!  :005:

As they get a bit older they do begin to wee wherever.  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »
Well braan was doing brilliantly  :angel: only said the other night when did he have his last accident in the house -OH said he couldn't remember, me neither

well we had a puddle tonight  :shades: 

poor wee might we ignored him when he went to the door as he had been out about 15 min before - so it was totally our fault as he was trying to tell us he wanted out  :angel:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
its cold outside and wet and windy always expect a few puddles...

if you have a dog that won't pee on walks do you have anyone else whose dog will that can teach them??  We have a rescue pup that wouldn't pee or poo outside a few runs with my dogs who all happily do both and then will mark each others has done the job and she's now peeing and pooing outside without any problems... sometimes its easier when they have someone to learn off :D

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »

Well she's started weeing on walks now, so there has definately been progress!

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020