Author Topic: Growing patterns and timescales  (Read 4342 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: Growing patterns and timescales
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »
sams 8 months and looks very gangly at the moment and has done for a few weeks. his legs are really skinny :005: but he is about the same height as most cockers we've seen around. i just think he needs to fill out-he still very much looks like a puppy :blink:

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:34 AM »
I think I've got a sausage dog on stilts too...but at only 5 months I'd expect him to fill out quite a bit.

He's already a bit taller than a few fully grown cockers we've met and has a really long back so I think he's going to be a big boy.

His mum has a really long back too. I (perhaps incorrectly) put it down to the worker in them (mum is half working cocker).

Anyway, he's gorgoeous no matter what shape he is. But of course I'm biased!

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
Hi Hannah

He's gorgeous, whatever he looks like!   :luv:

I met up with some of Daisy's siblings this week, with the breeder for a reunion, which was lovely,  and both Daisy's parents.  She's now head and shoulders with her parents and the biggest puppy in the litter and the smallest puppy in the litter are identical in size now - you can't tell a difference.  All of them are equal with their parents.  So I reckon Daisy has stopped going up, and will just fill out.  Some of the puppies in the litter seem to have longer spines than Daisy, but only by a very little.   

They do come in all shapes and sizes, but they all seem to have those unmistakable cocker eyes...... absolutely deadly! :005:

Enjoy your COL meet on Sunday.  And as it will be the half birthday, I think cake will be in order!!  (Any excuse!)

Love

Kay
-x-

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »
Does having a puppy spayed or neuted effect growth?

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »

Oh no idea! I wouldn't want to do my pup until he was well over a year though as my 'gut feeling' is it would be better for him to be fully grown, but no idea of the facts...
Anyone???

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 06:17:04 PM »

There is some research which suggests that early neutering can affect growth plates, particularly in large and giant breeds. Growth plates close between the ages of approx 9 to 18 months and this research showed that lack of sex hormones resulting from early neutering can prevent them from closing properly or delay their closure. However, by 'early' this means neutering done before or around 6 months of age, as is fairly common in the US. There is no evidence that early neutering stunts growth, in fact the effect on the growth plates actually means the opposite and the dog may end up slightly taller than 'normal'.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »

There is no evidence that early neutering stunts growth, in fact the effect on the growth plates actually means the opposite and the dog may end up slightly taller than 'normal'.

WICKED!!!... I'll book him in tomorrow, might fix the short legs problem  :005:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »
sams 8 months and looks very gangly at the moment and has done for a few weeks. his legs are really skinny :005: but he is about the same height as most cockers we've seen around. i just think he needs to fill out-he still very much looks like a puppy :blink:

Harvey is exactly the same and he's about 8 months now, he also seems to be quite long in the back :-\ Like you said I think he just needs to fill out a bit more :luv:
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
Just measured and Callie is 15 1/2inches in the back and 14 inches high, doesn't sound a lot does it lol but she looks a bit funny :Dand she was rather wriggly so she might even just look odd and the measurements are wrong!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
This week Dave's back legs have definitely grown... but not the front ones  :P So it's like someone has jacked up the back end and forgotten to do the front. He's such a weirdo, but now the perfect design for sniffing and trotting along - like one of those American cars with big wheels at the back and little ones at the front..  ::) Maybe that show career is not on the cards afterall  :005:

COME ON FRONT LEGS... GROW!!!!! RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!!!

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
like one of those American cars with big wheels at the back and little ones at the front..  ::) Maybe that show career is not on the cards afterall  :005:

You'll have to rename him Dave The Dragster  :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
like one of those American cars with big wheels at the back and little ones at the front..  ::) Maybe that show career is not on the cards afterall  :005:

You'll have to rename him Dave The Dragster  :005:

:rofl1:  :005: :005:

That would be very apt considering his general 'not bovered' approach to life!

x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx