Author Topic: christmas tree  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Palf12

• Site Member
christmas tree
« on: December 07, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
we normally have a christmas tree on the floor but now we have a puppy is there any like fencing you can put around it

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »
My christmas trees have always been on the floor and we never had any bother with either of the boys - but it depends on your pup. They were/are never left in the same room alone ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline claireandmartin

• Site Member
  • xxx zak xxx
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »
mine is on the floor and zak tries to pull things off it , its going higer up this weekend dont know what on though yet
ZAK MY GEORGEOUS GOLDEN BOY

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »
Heh heh I'm interested to see what Dave does when we get one this weekend... I did have an incident where Trev pounced on something about half way up a big tree when he was about 2 yrs old  ::) Very messy... and a very shocked spaniel  :005: Baubles used to go missing quite often too I seem to remember...

Then there was the time my son aged 2 and Trev aged 3 nicked a whole box of chocolates from under the tree and secretly ate the lot together behind the sofa.. that was a fun afternoon at warp speed I can tell you  :D

High as possible to avoid this.. but then again where's the fun in that  ;)

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:04 PM »
I'm having the same dilema :005: I know if I put the tree in the lounge where it normally goes, i will be spending all of my time watching Harvey nick things off it and eat them  :005: >:D >:D so I've decided to put the tree in the conservatory with the french doors locked ;) so we can still see it but Harvey can't get to it  :shades: :005: or maybe I should put Harvey in the conservatory  :005: and the tree in the lounge :005: ;) just kidding ;)
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »
Im going to put mine up shortly and will be leaving it on the floor as usual, I will be making sure though that none of the lights are at Otters easy reach just incase

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
We are taking Jasper to see my parents and the in-laws tomorrow to see what he does with their trees before we put our tree and decorations up :005: :005: :005:

We have ususally had our decos up a week or two by now - but he is such a little chew monster we've been putting it off ph34r

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »
How about putting the Tree on a table out of puppies way

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »
Ours is going on a table as Lily will snaffle everything off it if we dont. She likes to 'prune' plants too.....  >:D

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:03:04 AM »
Im going to put mine up shortly and will be leaving it on the floor as usual, I will be making sure though that none of the lights are at Otters easy reach just incase

I finally got a table sized tree after too many years of a floor tree with decorations only on the top 2/3rds  ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 01:06:56 AM »
Laurië was six months last christmas, loved to pull branches and have tug games with trees, also she was crazy about round items so I was prepared for the worst. But I wanted her to learn how to behave around Christmas trees so I put it on the floor, and decorated it like I would normally. And I was lucky. When I got the tree up she tried to grab a branch or some decorations a few times the first day. I said 'no' and gave her a treat as soon as she turned away from the tree. And after that she didn't touch the tree  :angel: Of course I did not leave her alone with the tree, when I went out I closed the livingroom door.

I bought some really cheap compost box thingys that I use like gates on the stairs or on doors. One pack had four pieces that you can put together so it makes a little square fence (for compost in garden or doggies inside  :lol:). Or you can buy two packs and put together more pieces to make a bigger fence. I bought them at a store where they sell garden things and plants. Would be great for fencing in the Christmas tree if your puppy is not as polite to decorations as my girl was  ;) I bought this in norway, but I'm sure this isn't the only country where people use these things.

Here's a very sleepy Laurië posing with one side piece:

Offline saintsrugbygirl

• Site Member
  • Molly - AKA the draft excluder!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »
We were wondering what to do this Christmas with having Molly - who incidentally has me up at 6.30am on a Saturday morning  >:(  :005:  Lie ins seem to be a thing of the past.  We'll have to work on this!

We did think about putting the tree in the conservatory but Molly :005: woiuld have to go past it every day for meals & to go out.

I think that we decided to get a table top one and go from there.  I would LOVE to see Molly with a real tree because like some of other on this post, Molly likes eating stuff from the garden and brings foliage in! 

When we went to our first puppy class, the lady mentioned Christmas trees, just to prepare us.  In particular she said not to put chocolate on the tree  ::)  There goes my fun  :005:

Happiness is the welcome that you get from your dog  when you get home after a day at work.  The wag of that tail and the joyful chatter that says "Hi Mum, where have you been?  Lets play."

Cazzie

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:06:47 AM »

I finally got a table sized tree after too many years of a floor tree with decorations only on the top 2/3rds  ::) :005:

They have got to learn and avoiding situations is not going to teach them. Its like removing orniments in the house when small children come in, I never do, they have got to learn not to touch. I will use this as a training excersise for Otter, even though he is very young her is a quick learner. He will be very interested in it but im determined to teach him to leave it  :blink:

You never know it may still end up on a table  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 08:11:38 AM »
They have got to learn and avoiding situations is not going to teach them. Its like removing orniments in the house when small children come in, I never do, they have got to learn not to touch.

;)  More modern parenting *schools* advise exactly that - far better give your pup (or toddler) the best possible chance of success, imo - why put temptation in their way ?  ;)  As they get older, they learn self-control and these kinds of exercises can be useful; but at such a young age, even if they understand that they shouldn't touch, they don't have the necessary skills/restraint until they are older  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:46 AM »
They have got to learn and avoiding situations is not going to teach them. Its like removing orniments in the house when small children come in, I never do, they have got to learn not to touch.

;)  More modern parenting *schools* advise exactly that - far better give your pup (or toddler) the best possible chance of success, imo - why put temptation in their way ?  ;)  As they get older, they learn self-control and these kinds of exercises can be useful; but at such a young age, even if they understand that they shouldn't touch, they don't have the necessary skills/restraint until they are older  ;)

Its not a modern method, I was brought up like that 40 years ago, and so was my mothers dogs (smile)