Author Topic: christmas tree  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: christmas tree
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03:25 AM »
They have got to learn and avoiding situations is not going to teach them. Its like removing orniments in the house when small children come in, I never do, they have got to learn not to touch.

;)  More modern parenting *schools* advise exactly that - far better give your pup (or toddler) the best possible chance of success, imo - why put temptation in their way ?  ;)  As they get older, they learn self-control and these kinds of exercises can be useful; but at such a young age, even if they understand that they shouldn't touch, they don't have the necessary skills/restraint until they are older  ;)

Its not a modern method, I was brought up like that 40 years ago, and so was my mothers dogs (smile)

I mean that moving items out of the way is the more up to date way of teaching  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »
They have got to learn and avoiding situations is not going to teach them. Its like removing orniments in the house when small children come in, I never do, they have got to learn not to touch.

;)  More modern parenting *schools* advise exactly that - far better give your pup (or toddler) the best possible chance of success, imo - why put temptation in their way ?  ;)  As they get older, they learn self-control and these kinds of exercises can be useful; but at such a young age, even if they understand that they shouldn't touch, they don't have the necessary skills/restraint until they are older  ;)

which is why certain young kitty cats are preventing me from putting up my lovely tree this year, ho hum ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Paula1

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »
I put my christmas tree up yesterday and Archie who I only got a week ago decided to investigate and have a chew on the branches I told him no and clicked my fingers and he hasnt bothered chewing it since if he does go to the tree I just click my fingers and he dont touch.

I think if you move the tree higher or out of the dogs way then your dog isn't really learning that if you say he must not touch something then he must not touch it.

Paula x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »
I think if you move the tree higher or out of the dogs way then your dog isn't really learning that if you say he must not touch something then he must not touch it.

It depends on the age of the dog/pup - a young puppy may well be able to understand quite quickly that you don't want them to touch; but learning the self-control not to touch something they know that they shouldn't takes a lot longer, and really - is it worth the extra hassle at Christmas?

It gets incredibly stressful and tedious to keep saying "no, no, no" all the time, while trying to enjoy a family Christmas - teaching a dog/puppy anything at holiday time is hard enough as they are bound to be excited and stressed by the change in routine, let alone add to their temptations by leaving a decorated tree within reach. 

I'm sure that a floor=standing Christmas tree isn't that important, is it?
Oldies Club

Offline Paula1

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »

It depends on the age of the dog/pup - a young puppy may well be able to understand quite quickly that you don't want them to touch; but learning the self-control not to touch something they know that they shouldn't takes a lot longer, and really - is it worth the extra hassle at Christmas?

It gets incredibly stressful and tedious to keep saying "no, no, no" all the time, while trying to enjoy a family Christmas - teaching a dog/puppy anything at holiday time is hard enough as they are bound to be excited and stressed by the change in routine, let alone add to their temptations by leaving a decorated tree within reach. 

I'm sure that a floor=standing Christmas tree isn't that important, is it?

No it's not important two have a floor standing christmas tree, but if you always move objects out of your dogs way just to save yourself from becoming stressed or for the fact that it becomes tedious saying the same word to disapline your dog then your dog will never learn. As for holiday times being stressful yes they are but if you have a young puppy then you know it is going to be hard work teaching it and if you have just brought one before christmas and you don't want the stress then you should really think about it before you went out and got one.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
I've only had problems with one dog and to be fair she was only 4 mths max on her first christmas, but she just couldn't go passed the tree without pulling it over :005:, needless to say she was fine the following year. Guess it's a case of how dangerous it will be for them and how tolerant you are towards this.

My other dogs have all been interested but slightly older on their first xmas so I could say "NO" and they'd walk away. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »
if you always move objects out of your dogs way just to save yourself from becoming stressed or for the fact that it becomes tedious saying the same word to disapline your dog then your dog will never learn.

People teach their dogs in different ways; I don't put "temptation" (tree/food etc) in my dogs reach unless I have already taught them a reliable "leave" command, when I know it is reliable in a variety of environments.    The way I have been taught to train my dogs "leave" is to start by using a low value/interest item and work up to the things they find most interesting  ;)

The problem I find with using "real life" situations like this for teaching (as opposed to a controlled training environment) is that the dog is rewarded if they ignore you, and so they are more likely to repeat the behaviour, and learn that you can be ignored..... if the dog does play with the tree (which is fun, and therefore a reward) then they are more likely to do it again  ;)
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
I put my christmas tree up yesterday and Archie who I only got a week ago decided to investigate and have a chew on the branches I told him no and clicked my fingers and he hasnt bothered chewing it since if he does go to the tree I just click my fingers and he dont touch.

Paula x

My centiments exactly  ;) My dog sitter put my tree up with 2 of my dogs this afternoon (Otter & Daisy) whilst I was shooting. He said Otter has had a wee sniff and has not even bothered about it, he spent most of his time watching  :005: :luv:

I believe with dogs you start the way you mean to go on, but can understand that not all pups are as well behaved and can see why some put temptation out of their way, but in this house temptation like most other homes is always an issue and my dogs within their lives have to overcome such temptations so they can go on to be succesfull working dogs and be part of a stress free loving home envoriment.  :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
..........I told him no and clicked my fingers and he hasnt bothered chewing it since if he does go to the tree I just click my fingers and he dont touch.

I believe with dogs you start the way you mean to go on, but can understand that not all pups are as well behaved and can see why some put temptation out of their way,

Too true they aren't all that well behaved   ;)  I think many people *dream* of having a dog they can command with the click of the fingers - my two aren't trained to that level of obedience and I've been continually training Molo for over three years  :005:
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »
..........I told him no and clicked my fingers and he hasnt bothered chewing it since if he does go to the tree I just click my fingers and he dont touch.

I believe with dogs you start the way you mean to go on, but can understand that not all pups are as well behaved and can see why some put temptation out of their way,

Too true they aren't all that well behaved   ;)  I think many people *dream* of having a dog they can command with the click of the fingers - my two aren't trained to that level of obedience and I've been continually training Molo for over three years  :005:

I must say that ive not really had issues with any of mine in the house tbh they tend to all do as they are told. They are more focused on me than anything else which is something that hasnt been taught its a bond I have with them which is a huge bonus. Even Otter has to be around me rather than looking to get up to nonsence. He also is learning calmness from my other dogs and would rather play with Goose and sweepie than pull the xmas tree down  :luv: :005:

Offline Paula1

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »

[/quote]

I previously had a jack russell X which I rescued and he didn't know the meaning of the word training and I had to constantly keep reminding and training him, and when I got Archie I didn't expect him to be so easy to train but as Dunbarney has said they have a bond with their dogs I seem to have that bond with Archie and he to looks at me constantly for direction when I am busy doing stuff he sits looking at me, I have already taught him to sit on command so I guess therefore I just must be lucky and I have a three year old daughter so I have to juggle my time between the two.

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 08:29:17 PM »

I previously had a jack russell X which I rescued and he didn't know the meaning of the word training and I had to constantly keep reminding and training him, and when I got Archie I didn't expect him to be so easy to train but as Dunbarney has said they have a bond with their dogs I seem to have that bond with Archie and he to looks at me constantly for direction when I am busy doing stuff he sits looking at me, I have already taught him to sit on command so I guess therefore I just must be lucky and I have a three year old daughter so I have to juggle my time between the two.
[/quote]

Fancy another terrier  :005: Her name is Daisy and she is free to a good home  :005: (JOKING) id never part with her  :luv: But she is impossible, but did surprise me with working superbly at a shoot so must have done somethin right with her somewhere  :lol: :lol:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »
You can still have a bond with your dog and yet they will misbehave! Lily is very focused on me and she is also highly intelligent and picks up tricks in one go.  I taught her 'be a teddybear' today. Yet there are two things she wont always do when asked and that is to be quiet (she knows what it means and does it most of the time but its just in her nature to be noisy) and 'ah ah' when it comes to pinching things ie plants/slippers and soon to be xmas tree. We do keep things out her way but I'm not fussed about any of my dogs being perfectly well behaved. As long as they are safe and happy its sometimes amusing to see them being cheeky. If I had a dog from a pup I'd obviously teach them right from wrong much easier but getting rescues from age 1 upwards its not always as easy. If they're happy then i'm happy  :D

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Paula1

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »
You can still have a bond with your dog and yet they will misbehave! Lily is very focused on me and she is also highly intelligent and picks up tricks in one go.  I taught her 'be a teddybear' today. Yet there are two things she wont always do when asked and that is to be quiet (she knows what it means and does it most of the time but its just in her nature to be noisy) and 'ah ah' when it comes to pinching things ie plants/slippers and soon to be xmas tree. We do keep things out her way but I'm not fussed about any of my dogs being perfectly well behaved. As long as they are safe and happy its sometimes amusing to see them being cheeky. If I had a dog from a pup I'd obviously teach them right from wrong much easier but getting rescues from age 1 upwards its not always as easy. If they're happy then i'm happy  :D

I don't expect my dog to be well behaved and to be honest nothing or no-one can be perfect all the time but I do think you can teach a dog not to do things that you find unacceptable that doesn't mean to say they will behave all the time as all dogs are different and have different needs aswell as different instincts but that doesn't mean to say they don't need rules.

Offline Becky H-M

• Site Member
  • LOVE BECKY AND CHARLIE X X X
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 08:46:39 AM »
charlie helped us yesterday with our tree. it was so funny every so often he'd be sat there and all of a sudden he'd disappear and trot in the lounge with a peice of tinsel in his mouth. it was so funny i couldnt stop laughing he's such a cheeky boy sometimes but we all adore him :luv: