Author Topic: christmas tree  (Read 6161 times)

Offline hle

• Site Member
Re: christmas tree
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 09:32:11 AM »
My tree is staying up the loft this year. It usually lives in our large bay window, but that is now Cody's spot. He pretty much lives in the window watching people and birds. I can't move him out and put a tree there for a few weeks. Although he is really good with the "leave" command I don't really have anywhere else to put it. Maybe next year he will be a little more tolerant. He loves all the lights and garlands that we managed to put up and he leaves them alone. Can't wait for Christmas this year our 1st with Cody.
Happy a great Christmas everyone

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
I thought Logan may want to cock his leg on our tree as he'd just learned to do it so I couldn't take my eyes off him until I knew he wouldn't.
Had visions of him electrocuting himself ph34r :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
I thought Logan may want to cock his leg on our tree as he'd just learned to do it so I couldn't take my eyes off him until I knew he wouldn't.
Had visions of him electrocuting himself ph34r :005:

This was my Mum and Dads concern about their tree as their next door neighbour's cats have christened their own tree a few times. Fortunately Jasper was very well behaved - apart from trying to get the pine cones off...  >:D

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
Baileys been very good with our tree, i never move anything out of his way to avoid bad behaviour (unless its dangerous) i would rather teach him to leave things alone.  He has behaved though and we even have some wrapped chocolates underneath it that have not been touched!   :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
we even have some wrapped chocolates underneath it that have not been touched!   :lol:

IMO, that is dangerous - relying on your dog's self-control and obedience to leave chocolate alone could lead to him being very ill, or even kill him  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »
IMHO if you have to move everything in the first place then the dogs not trained and never likely to be, so will forever be a danger to themselves. If a dog is going to live with a family then it needs to know what the rules are.
Mine are taught to leave things and I've never had an emergency or any other adverse situation come to think of it yet and I've shared my whole life with dogs. Using this method also means I can take them to other peoples houses who do have things that may be tempting to a dog and I can tell the dog to leave rather than asking the house owner to move things and risk upsetting them because my dogs arn't trained.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »
Our (artificial) tree is on the floor. Griffin has had a good old much on the wooden stand and keeps touching the baubles with his nose. I've been using the "leave it" command and he's not been interested in it for the last few days. He looks at it, then looks at me and says "Don't worry mum, I'm only looking" (because he speaks very good English!). In the last few days I've thought I'v caught him trying to have a nibble but its cause his balls rolled under the tree and he's been trying to get it.  :005:
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »
Our tree went up this evening and Lola isnt interested at all.  I thought she might try and steal a branch (it is artificial) but she just sat there watching us.  Seems it doesnt have the same appeal as socks in Lola's opinion.  Of course i could be speaking too soon........ ph34r

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »
The only problem we are having with Harvey is his tail :005: he keeps going past the tree with his tail wagging constantly and knocking ornaments off :005: we never had this problem with our last cocker as his tail was docked :luv: but other than the lethal tail he's left it pretty much alone :luv:
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Offline Tree79

• Site Member
  • Sexi Lexi.....................
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:30 PM »
Hi All.....

I have just sat and read all the post about the xmas tree.....
Well you all have great points,  a dog is so much like having children, we all bring our children up different and the dogs are just the same...

I think no one can say what will work in another person home... I have 4 children and a lexi (18 week old working cocker) so christmas will be fun...
I have ever put things away for my children they have to learn, but i work hard to keep my house tidy and safe so that i no i can walk out of a room and the baby or the puppy will not put them self in harm's way, with thing that have been left out. (not that i leave baby and puppy alone)

but things always happen and they will find something to eat that they should not.....

lets try and enjoy christmas where ever our trees end up.........................

8 weeks ago i was a city girl.
now i live in a field..............
and my fav shoes are wellies
for dog walking..................
its the good life 4me...........

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »
Well we must admit we were a bit hesitant as Maisie the Cav was a very naughty pup and had our xmas tree ph34r anyway we've put ours up but have to admit its going to be too tempting for Annie if we're out so will put gate around it...but when we're home she doesnt seem to pay much attention
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »
we even have some wrapped chocolates underneath it that have not been touched!   :lol:

IMO, that is dangerous - relying on your dog's self-control and obedience to leave chocolate alone could lead to him being very ill, or even kill him  :-\

We dont leave him alone in the room and the lounge door is closed at night.  He wouldnt dare touch them why we are there.   :D

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »
IMHO if you have to move everything in the first place then the dogs not trained and never likely to be, so will forever be a danger to themselves. If a dog is going to live with a family then it needs to know what the rules are.
Mine are taught to leave things and I've never had an emergency or any other adverse situation come to think of it yet and I've shared my whole life with dogs. Using this method also means I can take them to other peoples houses who do have things that may be tempting to a dog and I can tell the dog to leave rather than asking the house owner to move things and risk upsetting them because my dogs arn't trained.

I totally agree with you

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »
With all the dogs we have had in my family, the tree has just come out as usual every year with no special allowances (apart from chocolate santas going on at a higher level to take them out of the way of eager noses!!). My last dog Jess did produce some tinsel flavoured poo at one stage, but apart from that we have had no problems. All pups have to learn, the same as babies, and IMO they learn faster in the long run if special allowances are not made for them. It takes more work up front but is worth it in the end. This has worked well in my experience, but I of course appreciate that we all have different opinions and experiences.

Whatever you all decide to do with your trees I hope that you all have a happy and safe Christmas with lots of cocker cuddles!!  :luv: 

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
I wondered what Roxy (6 months) would make of the tree!! its artificail and stands on floor...Oh said not to put it up because of her but like many I'd rather teach her to leave it!

She has been fine, sniffed at it and tried a couple of times to steal a bauble but has lost interest in it now! Also has had a sniff of the presents under but left them alone!

However I wouldn't leave her alone in the room with it!