Author Topic: Puppy Growling  (Read 2260 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Puppy Growling
« on: January 12, 2004, 06:46:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words on Honey's picture.

I've noticed over the last couple of days that occasionally (although it's mainly in the afternoon/evening :?: ) that when we pick Honey up, she gives a very small growl.  We're picking her up the way the breeder showed us (under the chest and back legs) so it shouldn't be hurting her.  We've had a few visitors round to see the new pup, so I'm wondering if she's been getting fed up with picked up (although today we've not had visitors and she's still done it).  Having said that, once she is picked up, or when she's on the floor, she's nothing but licks, kisses and wagging bottom :lol:

Any advice?  We've been saying a firm 'no' every time she's done it, but then I don't want her to think she gets told off for being picked up, if you see what I mean :?

Maybe she's just finding her place in the family, but if it is a bad habit, I'd like to ger her out of it asap  :evil:

Is this normal?

Regards
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Growling
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
Phil - congrats on Honey - she looks lovely :D . This growling is prob coz she's had enough. To be honest, while it's very temping, and people can't resist, the best thing for a new puppy for the first couple of days is to limit the number of visitors to let them settle in a little. Don't worry though, as it's quitened down now, she should be OK. Puppies tire very easily and do need their sleep, preferably undisturbed,

However, she must learn not to growl when you pick her up as it could lead to more dominant behaviour later. Only pick her up when she's awake, and not tired and be positive and give her lots of praise as you do. A firm "no" if she does growl and continue to pick her up, then telling her good girl as you get her close to you should do the trick.

Young puppies are very much like children, in that they can and will try it on as they learn what is and isn't right. :D Confidence but not confrontation, consistency and firmness will tell her clearly what is and isn't acceptable.

hth - and have a great time with her. :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Puppy Growling
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 11:23:56 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Pam - I think your definately right about the visitors and hopefully we've got them 'out the way' now :oops:                    
All the best
Phil

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy Growling
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 08:53:43 AM »
What Pammy said makes a lot of sense. We have a 13 week old boy, Indie, and he's only now starting to really behave the way we are training him. I don't know how experienced you are with dogs, but I'm not, and through I asked question after question, and read a lot, some things did worry me about Indie's behaviour.

I do have to say he's much better than he was, he tends to nip when he gets too excited, but that's really tailed off now. I felt for a while all I was saying was *NO!* but he's much better now. The magic age seemed to be 12 weeks, he's 80% there with the toilet training, and the nipping - I was worried he'd be an aggressive dog, but he's not, just gets fed up sometimes, and forgets. I don't know how old Honey is (she's gorgeous!) but just keep doing what you are doing, and she'll just get it, good luck,

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Puppy Growling
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Shona

I was reading your thread on Indie's night time antics - looks like it's getting better for you now, so you're absolutely right about the age thing.

I remember reading that having a puppy was like having a child, and I am realising how right that is.  Our daughter is 7, but looking after Honey brings back all those baby memories!

I'm back at work tomorrow, having taken a couple of days off to settle Honey in, so it will be over to my wife Sarah who is home all day.  Wonder who will get the most rest....???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    
All the best
Phil