Author Topic: texture of hair?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline shebasudha

• Site Member
texture of hair?
« on: January 16, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »
[/b]We have a cocker 8 weeks old, named mike of orange and white colour. we noted that our puppy is not  having a silky coat and it feels not shiny . Is there such an entitiy of different textures in cockers? Or our pup has lost its sheen?Anybody to help us pertaining to this question. We are from Tamilnadu, India. We have another problem .Our pup tears all the papers used for paper training.Any solution for this?
shebasudha

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
texture of hair?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 09:48:07 AM »
Welcome to Cockers Online :) There are quite a few causes of dry, dull coats in puppies. It could be that your puppy needs worming so I would suggest you take him to the vet for a check up & ask for some worming tablets. It could also be that Mike's diet is lacking in vitamins & oils - so depending on what you are feeding him, he may need a vitamin supplement (ask your vet about this).

Puppies do like to tear newspaper & there is not a lot you can do about this, except put more paper on the floor :) Perhaps you could take the paper away if this is a big problem & concentrate on taking your puppy outside to toilet at frequent intervals (leaving paper down at night only                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
texture of hair?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 04:17:09 PM »
Hi Shebasudha :)

Welcome to Cockersonline :)   Regarding the newspaper tearing :roll:   Indie, my pup, was forever doing this.  I did exactly what Jane has just said I removed it alltogether :wink:   I took her outside every hour when she was very young and then increased it slowly as she grew up, until she was at the stage where she can now ask me to let her out :D  This worked great for us :)   During the night she was in a crate, so she keeps that clean anyway!  I am sure if you try this with Mike, he will soon get the hang of it :)   I hope this offers you a light at the end of the tunnel, do let us know how you get on.  By the way, when the photo gallery is up and running, you will have to post a picture of your pup :)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
texture of hair?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
Hi Shebasudha, and welcome to cockersonline

I dont have anything else to add after Jane and Emma's good advice - I just cant help smiling about the name of your dog  :lol:  look forward to hearing more from you  :wink:

Mike                    

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
texture of hair?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 05:12:14 PM »
Hi there

We have a 9 week old and she does exactly the same.  We tried getting rid of the paper and using those training pads.  Honey thinks they are great fun and runs around dragging one behind her :P  and I don't think she's weed on it once.

We tried reverting back to paper last night but she still goes on the floor.

Having said that, we are trying the 'going outside every hour' technique and this seems to be working - most times she will go but then there are occasions when she will sit down outside and look up at us with those oh-so-lovely eyes until we give up and brought her in again, when she will immediately wee on the floor :twisted:

All the best
Phil.                    
All the best
Phil

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
texture of hair?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 12:09:54 PM »
Maggie also ripped up the paper when we brought her home. She thought it was great fun shredding it!! I didn't bother replacing it after a few days and made sure I took her to the back door every hour or so. She is fantastic now and barks to go out. She's only 14 weeks old too so I'm really pleased with her.  :D
Samantha & Maggie x                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
texture of hair?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 11:40:34 AM »
Hi
Have just read your posts and can relate totally with them.  We have two 5 month pups and their mum.  The pups seem to think that paper is just for shredding!! So like others it has been removed totally.  Still having a little bit of trouble with toilet training with the odd accident but they are getting better.  Good Luck