Author Topic: wired or wireless  (Read 1587 times)

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
  • R.I.P Sweep 21.2.2004-7.12.2013
wired or wireless
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:31:26 PM »
We have a desktop downstairs which accesses the internet through a wired connection via DSL modem to phone line. Daughter has had a laptop for xmas and wants to use it on the internet. Are we best making a wireless network for both desktop and laptop or could we keep desktop wired and just have the laptop wireless? What is the easier way to achieve either or both of thes options!? Thanks.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: wired or wireless
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »
Is your modem/router wireless anabled? If so then just connect your daughter to it. Does your PC have a wireless card? If so then the choice is yours, if not then you'd need to buy one and install it. If it works OK wired then keep the desktop wired and just sort out the laptop.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:39:44 AM »
Yeah we have the pc connected ( not sure why) and my laptop is wireless which is just fab as i can move around with it  :D

Offline philc

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »
Dont forget to turn WPA Securty on though. Otherwise half your street will be using your connection  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »
We reverted back from wireless due to the security and signal strength issues -we now use our ringmain as a network using a Homplug system, so as long as I have access to an electric socket, I can connect to the internet, even in the garden using an extension cable  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »
Now using Thomson Speedtouch to connect wired to internet on desktop. Daughter's laptop has detected ispeedtouch but can't get onto internet. Using wizard to add laptop to network but says some hardware is unplugged??

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:03:22 PM »
Daughters laptop can now access internet - hurray!!! She sorted it herslef. However, each time she connects to the router there is a red cross showing between router and internet and she gets various messages and then the ip is looked up and she gets connected. Sorry for not explaining properly but have phobia where technology is concerned!!!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »
Now using Thomson Speedtouch to connect wired to internet on desktop. Daughter's laptop has detected ispeedtouch but can't get onto internet. Using wizard to add laptop to network but says some hardware is unplugged??

It will say network cable unplugged - that's fine ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
I have a US robotics wireless router that my main PC is hard wired to and my laptop is wireless (but it has enough ports to hardwire the laptop into also if I want) - it's brilliant and considering that my house has thick sandstone walls, the signal is even good if I want to work at the very top of the garden (approx 30m away). V impressed with it!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x