Author Topic: Injections to stop season  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Injections to stop season
« on: January 26, 2004, 11:18:47 AM »
Hi

I'm thinking of trying those injections to stop Candy coming into season.  As I have decided to keep both dogs I cannot go through another 6 weeks of hell when they are both fighting.  Has anyone used them before?

I called my vet to find out what they were called so that I could do my own research on the web.  She said 'Delpha Sterone'. When I asked how to spell it she said she didn't have a clue.  Needless to say it's not coming up when I put a search into Google.  (Have tried different spellings too but nothing)

If anyone knows what they are really called that would be great but if not anyone with any firsthand experience of using them: pros/cons/effectivness/side effects etc I'd be really pleased to hear from you.
Thanks

Loraine.  :)

Thanks.

Loraine.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
We have used these injections on an occasional basis (you can get tablets too) but would not be happy using them regularly as they do increase the risk of pyometra & sometimes seem to upset the normal cycle of a bitch for quite a while afterwards. I think the specific injection your vet mentioned was "Delvosteron" - if you do a Google search for this, lots of pages come up with more info on the side effects etc.                    
Jane

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 03:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the correct name Jane.  Have had a look on the web for further info and it's really quite confusing; it goes from 'these injections are the best thing ever' to 'don't touch them with a barge pole'.  I've still got some time to think about it and decide whether or not I'm going to try them.

Loraine.  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 10:26:59 PM »
Hi Loraine

I see you've noticed opinion is divided over these injections :lol: It's down to you really - no treatment is totally without risk & there are always pros & cons. I guess you just have to balance the benefits of a peaceful household with the slightly increase risk of pyometra etc. I know my vet does not recommend long term use of these injections but other vets have different opinions, as always :wink:

Jane                    
Jane