Author Topic: Choking  (Read 1934 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Choking
« on: January 26, 2004, 01:45:02 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to warn everybody after a bit of a scary incident last night,  A couple of days ago I gave Billy one of those Thin raw hide chews (special minty teeth cleaning variety) left him with it in his basket.

Last night Billy went out via dog flap for his usual pre bed tour of the garden, we went to bed normally after about 5 mins he usually comes bounding in and jumps on the bed. However last night he did not come in after 15 mins so we went looking for him opened the back door and all I can hear is this awful rasping noise, found Billy over near the shed, just stood with his head hanging down the noise coming from him??   When I looked in his mouth there was what looked like a piece of white rubber I pulled it out quite easily, it was the chew only now completly soft and covered in mud it was about 10" long and only about 1/2" had been sticking out of his mouth...... it looks like he had buried it to go back to later. I dread to think what would have happend if we hadn't gone looking for him.

Anyway a quick trip to the vets this morning and a warning from him not to give him any more chews :oops: and Billy is fine (the box of chews have gone in the bin)

Michelle                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Choking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »
Good God, that must have been really frightening for you Michelle.  I have long since given up letting my two have those things as they both had no intention of chewing them until they were swallowable pieces.  Hols and Chloe both tried to swallow them whilst they were still huge :(  :(  I am sure there are many dogs who have the sense to chew until it is safe to swallow, mine aren't two of them :(   Good job you did go looking for him.  There is a lot to be said for knowing your dogs' routine I think. :)  :)                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Choking
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:05:06 PM »
I NEVER give any of mine rawhide chews.
Many years ago (b4 Cockers) I had a GSD, I bought him a huge rawhide chew, he spent ages gnawing & thoroughly enjoying himself, with it.
Until, that is, he too started choking, really badly, literally no air going in or out !!
I managed to pull a piece  from his throat, luckily I could get a grip on it.
Trouble is with these is that they swell as they are chewed & get wet.
NEVER AGAIN, imagine if I had given him the chew & gone out  :!: doesn't bear thinking about.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline T

• Site Member
Choking
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 11:28:52 PM »
Ohh yes this sounds familiar but no way as bad as your experince - poor you!  :(
But yep Charlie-Spud has done something similar ... happily chewing on one (keeps him quiet for ages!) but then we see lots of mouthy movements indicating 'stuck in mouth Mom, get it out!!'
We still let him have them, but never unsupervised and as soon as it gets to that really soggy, slipper stage it goes in the bin!!
But very good warning!  :)                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Choking
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 06:23:36 PM »
:shock: OMG only just caught this, so glad you found Billy in time Michelle, that must have been so scarey.  I don't tend to give Indie the brown rawhide chews, but I have given her the white flat minty ones, that I think you are talking about here :?   Needless to say they will be binned!!   I get the puffed pigs snouts, trotters, they are chewable and not so brittle :)   Michelle, you can get these from pets paraphanilia in Burscough, so not too far to travel for a stock up :wink:   If you go on a Sunday there is a huge car boot sale nearby, so if you go, give me a shout and we can meet up :D

Glad all is well with him now :D                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Choking
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 12:48:27 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, can't believe that these things can be so dangerous  :x  Billy will not be having them again.

Emma,
I haven't been to pets paraphanilia? Where abouts is it? we tend to go to pets at home, but I have been to the car boot sale, so next time you are going give me a shout and we will meet up :D .

Michelle                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Choking
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 01:40:43 PM »
:D Hi Michelle,

That would be lovely :D   See what the weathers like next Sunday if you are free?  The store is just a bit further along from the boot sale , Ringtail Road, Burscough Industrial Estate.  Here is a link to their site too  http://www.petparaphernalia.co.uk/acatalog/index.html.  Its quite easy to find.                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Choking
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 09:11:10 PM »
Michelle

I've just seen this - what a scary thing to happen - hope Billy has recovered (and you).

Do you ever go to Formby point? We went the other week and it's doggie heaven. (We originally went to Southport but the tide was in!!!!!!). :shock:                    
Anita

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Choking
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »
Anita,

I get muddled up (very easily) is Formby point the squirrel reserve, also have you tried Crosby really easy to get to and loads of free parking.

Billy loves the sea, but his recall ability goes out the window as he runs to find the water.

Michelle