Author Topic: Should I take him to the vet?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Should I take him to the vet?
« on: January 27, 2004, 09:42:58 AM »
Indie wasn't feeling great yesterday, and was a bit off his food. He was drinking well though, so I wasn't too worried. Last night he was sick on my bed, so I kept him in the room with us and he was ok during the night.

This morning he's had a funny coloured poo, sort of tan coloured, softer and lighter in colur than usual, but he's drinking and eating ok. My husband says I'm panicking, he's fine, he's just a bit listless. His gums are pink and healthy looking, he's just not 100%

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 09:48:02 AM »
Personally, I'm a big worry wart when it comes to my lot, cats included and would rather pay for peace of mind (think my vet must have paid off his mortgage by now!). But then that's me. You know your dog the best as well.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 11:13:36 AM »
Hi Shona

Hope Indie's feeling better real soon - I'm sure he'll be fine.

Honey sends a big lick :lol:

Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 11:18:56 AM »
Personally, I'm a big worry wart when it comes to my lot, cats included and would rather pay for peace of mind (think my vet must have paid off his mortgage by now!). But then that's me. You know your dog the best as well.

Thanks Penny,
he's been sick again twice, so I'm seeing the vet at 2.30 - he's very listless, and I'm worried.

Thankyou.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 11:20:12 AM »
Awww, Phil, thankyou, that made me smile!

I'm sure he'll perk up if I tell him Honey sends a lick :lol:

Shona                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 02:37:27 PM »
Indie will be seeing the vet just now but just wanted to say hope he feels better soon. Let us know how he gets on - there's nothing worse than a little one feeling yuk :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 04:10:49 PM »
Thanks Gill - and everyone.
The vet said I'd done the right thing bringing him in, he was on his way to being dehydrated, which was my concern. He gave him an antibiotic injection, and an electrolyte injection, and some tablets and electrolyte stuff to drink. He's a tired baby, and he cried getting his injection, I'm afraid I did too, I'm such a wuss.

Anyway, he's to go back on Thursday for a check up, and I'm getting him microchipped then too.

I'm just going to let him sleep all day, he's tired out bless him

thanks again

Shona                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 06:13:01 PM »
:cry: Awww poor Indie!  Sure he will be right as rain (snow) by tomorrow Shona :wink:  Indie (my) had a similar thing when she was young, and the injections seemed to work wonders :)   I am sure it will be the same for your little Indie :)

Hugs to you both                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 08:31:15 PM »
Poor baby Indie. Hope he's feeling better soon.  Healing hugs from me & healing licks from Bess                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 09:21:05 PM »
Sorry to hear Indie wasnt so well today Shona :( Did the vet indicate what might have caused his illness, or was it just one of those things? I always think it's a good idea to phone and speak to the vet nurse if there's any concern over your dog/pup. Hope he picks up this evening and is back to his playful self soon enough  :wink:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 11:18:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Indie Shona :(  hope he's feeling much better now...we worry about them more than our kids at times  :wink:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 08:36:21 AM »
Sorry to hear Indie wasnt so well today Shona :( Did the vet indicate what might have caused his illness, or was it just one of those things? I always think it's a good idea to phone and speak to the vet nurse if there's any concern over your dog/pup. Hope he picks up this evening and is back to his playful self soon enough  :wink:

Thanks Mike, the vet reckoned gastroenteritis - as for it's source we don't know to be honest. He's forever picking things up on our walks, and while I try to get all of them, it's perfectly feasible that something has got past me, he's dreadful for eating bits of anything he can find - dh had to wrestle a piece of chewing gum from the ground off him the other week.

I phoned the vet and they were great bout advising me over the phone, however he did have signs of dehydration, which I know can be a slippery slope for pups, and the vet said it was adviseable to bring him in.

He's back to 100% this morning though - bounding around the room being mad, I'm delighted, I hope he continues this. I'm seeing the vet again on Thursday, he wanted to  check up on him again, and Im getting him microchipped then too - insult to injury, he'll be cross!

Shona :lol:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 08:39:43 AM »
Thanks Gilly and Buttons,

I know, my husband was saying that last night, I was calmer with the kids! My rationale is that kids can communicate verbally, and pups can't - I was pretty upset yesterday, and so will hubby be when he sees the final bill,lol!

thankyou

Shona x                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 08:41:29 AM »
:cry: Awww poor Indie!  Sure he will be right as rain (snow) by tomorrow Shona :wink:  Indie (my) had a similar thing when she was young, and the injections seemed to work wonders :)   I am sure it will be the same for your little Indie :)  

Hugs to you both

Thanks Emma and Indie, it's frightening, isn't it? I'll have another 40 grey hairs after that lol! Of course, this morning he launched himself onto our bed, sat on my face, and then chased my toes for half an hour - he's so much better!

thanksyou

Shona xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 08:42:13 AM »
Poor baby Indie. Hope he's feeling better soon.  Healing hugs from me & healing licks from Bess

Thanks Bess, he's back to normal behaviour now ' tearing about!

ta

Shona x