Author Topic: Getting used to the lead  (Read 1163 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Getting used to the lead
« on: January 30, 2004, 09:55:35 AM »
Hi all

We've been trying to get Honey used to wearing a collar and lead, ready for her BIG ADVENTURE :shock:  once she's had her 2nd jab in a week or so.

She'll wear the collar, albeit with a scratch now again, and will happily walk around with the lead dragging behind.  But when you pick the lead up and actually try and get her to walk with you, she's having none of it :roll: She'll sit right down and will not budge.  I thought about trying treats to get her to walk with me, but don't want to have to keep bribing her to do anything :wink:  She'll also jump in the air to try and get away from the lead but then I worry we're going to strangle her!

You can probably tell that Honey is one strong minded puppy :evil: but we are gradually showing her who's boss.

Any advice on how we can get her to walk with us on the lead?

Have a great weekend everyone

Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Getting used to the lead
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 10:06:10 AM »
If shes anything like my Dallas, try a squeaky toy to gee her on or roll a  ball while shes on her lead, and when she goes for it, just hold her lead lightly and give her lots of praise. If you want to use treats, hold a little bit in your hand and as she follows it keep moving it away slowly until she has taken a few steps while on the lead and then you can give her it.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Getting used to the lead
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 11:14:32 AM »
Hi Phil. We've just started taking Pickle out on the lead this week - all good fun! He will generally trot along quite happily, but sometimes if he finds something good to sniff, he just stops dead and refuses to budge. Very very stubborn! But as Gill says, a squeak or two from a toy in your pocket gets their attention, and sometimes gets him moving again!
It's so good to be outside with them without having to worry about infections etc! And I do think Pickle has calmed down a little this week, so walks are definitely a good thing!
Good luck, Emma and Pickle xx                    

lynseyloo

Getting used to the lead
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 11:59:12 AM »
I never had probalems with Jessie like this, but Poppy was like it when she was little...nothing I tried worked until once day I pulled out a sweet/choccy wrapper from my pocket..the kinda that rustles..well that worked...   :wink: although she didn't get any human sweets..she did get doggy ones though..  :wink: