Author Topic: best garden material  (Read 1325 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
best garden material
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
having problems with my 15 week old cocker picking up/trying to eat the pebbles and gravel in our yard  >:D

I am thinking of replacing these - was think of paving but not sure if money can stretch to this so was wondering if anybody knew of a safe alternative ie bark or something that would be cheaper for me  :005: and safer for Ollie!!!!

Lauren and Ollie x x

Cazzie

Re: best garden material
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Bark is worse as they eat it  ::) Id either be vigilant like I have to be with all mine or slab it  ;) Grass is useless as it gets filthy in winter and they also dig huge holes  :005: :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
I have wee chukkies in my garden except for the borders and Kali now doesn't bother with them :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »
Sheryl - can you tell me more about the wee chukkies - not seen or heard of these.

I may just have to stop being a penny pincher and get it paved - i'm always vigilant when we're in the yard to gether, but when it gets nicer and i'm cooking etc i'd like to have the back door open so Ollie can roam outside and play and not get under my feet!!! So trying to plan now!!!

L & O x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Oops, sorry.  I think it is just the word up here for gravel.  You know, the small wee stones you get in bags at B&Q?  Kali is 21 months now and hasn't eaten stones for quite a while.  :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Meant to say that she used to eat the garden bark too.  Thankfully it wasn't the coconut bark which is supposed to be really bad if they eat it.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:12:29 PM »
Get it  :lol:!

We have some of these on one part of the yard and he swallows them easily - the bigger pebbles i'm able to stop as i hear him crunch them.

I don't want to end up with a puppy with a stomach full of stones.

I'm trying to teach him drop as suggested in another post but if this is not succesful i want to plan ahead so we can all enjoy the summer - if we get one and Ollie can happily play in the yard!!

L & O x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Thats probably why Kali stopped eating them then..... not enough summer to stay outside :005: :005:

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
Before you do anything drastic, Fred used to do this as a puppy but has now stopped, maybe Ollie will grow out of it by the time Summer eventually arrives?

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
Steelygirl - that would be great if he did but i'm not sure of i should be more organised or wait to see??

L x

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
We have gravel all around our patio and a gravel border at one end of the garen, Roxy was a nightmare for eating them when we first got her but grew out of it I guess by about 3 or 4 months.  I wouldn't worry too much.

We also found that although she liked to chew them generally she didn't eat them.  Just try and remove them as they can break their teeth.