Author Topic: I have a clicker question too !!  (Read 670 times)

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
I have a clicker question too !!
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
:D I have been reading your posts reccommending the clicker and have been thinking of giving it a go with Kasper, is it really difficult and if I buy a book or a dvd which is good for a beginner? (in my case an idiots guide), as there are no classes available close to me (I live in Radcliffe near Bury in Manchester so if anyone knows differant please let me know).
Does it matter which clicker, have had a look on ebay but there are loads of differant brands, does it really matter which?
Also what treats are good for using with this method, i.e low fat as i don't want a tubby pooch  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: I have a clicker question too !!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
Doesn't matter which brand of clicker  ;)

I started off using a handful or two of the dogs daily food allowence - so they weren't actually getting extra  :D  I always used to do the clicker training before they got fed also  ;)

Have you got the book 'The complete Idiots guide to positive dog training' ??? It's on the book reccommendations thread and it has loads of stuff in it and also how to 'Charge' the clicker - so instead of getting a book specially designed for just clicker training, this is a good all rounder and very very easy to read and understand  ;)

edited to add - Please whatever you do read about 'charging' the clicker before you start using it otherwise you will not be using it correctly and it won't be as effective ;) Timing is essential

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »
This is a guide from my local dog training school
http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/click1.html

They also sell them
http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/newshop.html#c

:D
Caz

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
The Karen Pryor book is also good ans easy to understand. Its got all the basics in it. Karen Pryor also has a DVD called Clicker Magic

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Tanks for the advise and the links, i have ordered a clicker and a couple of other things from there  ;)