Author Topic: chasin my cats  (Read 1106 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
chasin my cats
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »
Dax is desperate to play with my cats (and seems to miss them like he misses us when he hasn't seen them overnight) so when one of them sets off across the lounge he makes chase to smother them in cocker hugs and he is just soooo fast :o the little black and white one sits on the window sill behind the curtain  :005: and he hasn't cottoned on that he could still reach her but it will only be a matter of time  :005: the bengal cat (who in her defence is lovely) absolutely shrieks at him (its ear piercing) when he bounds up to her to cover her in slobbery kisses when she is chilling out  :-\ he hasn't quite worked out that she doesn't want to play  :o He's about 4 times bigger than them so playtime with the cats is in his dreams - it ain't goin to happen in this lifetime  :005: How can I discourage him from running after them (cos after all in a cockers mind thats perfectly normal)  ;) I said leave tonight and he sat down but that may not work every time - all tips gratefully received  :lol:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Cazzie

Re: chasin my cats
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
Do you know this I cant for the life of me remember how mine all ended up getting along  :005: I know when I get dogs here that are unsure of cats or are young puppies who want to chase them, I just keep an eye out and say to them Aah Aah Aah when they make a bee line but do tend to discourage them in the 1st place and it seems to work. I know that Sassy my ragdoll is very laid back, but if a dog was to go for Josh he is capable of doing serious damage if  pushed. He actually thinks he is a dog, well they both do thb and come on various walks, they just seem to accept each other after after a while.  :luv:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:57:20 PM »
Right or wrong, I usually let the cats take care of the situation  ph34r :005: Mine have always been well capable of letting the dogs know when they don't want to play.

I was a bit worried about Bracken as he was an adult ( I use the term loosely  ::)) when he came here. Took me a while to realize that the cats were enjoying playing chase games with the dogs  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline jojobooster

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:37 AM »
One of my cats ( well 5 month old kitten) loves the play fighting. He actively encourages it, sitting right next to Molly any chance he gets. At the moment he is bigger than her so it's OK. I dread to think what will happen when she grows up a bit. Our other kitten just hisses and pats back if Mols goes anywhere near her. I figure they are both sensible to get out of the way if they don't like something and Molly will learn soon enough that Cat claws are sharp!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:36 AM »
Right or wrong, I usually let the cats take care of the situation  ph34r :005: Mine have always been well capable of letting the dogs know when they don't want to play.

Me too. I supervised the initial encounters with my lot but left it up to the cat to tell the dogs what he did and didn't like which he had no problem doing.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »
I just let them get on with it to a certain degree unless Elmo gets too boisterous and the cat looks like it would like a little assistance then i say leave and distract him so the cat has a chance to get on top of something. my male cat plays with Elmo and swipes him with his paws and lays on his back enticing him to play. His claws are never evr out unless Elmo gets too rough and then you hear a yelp and his ears have been got. I have 2 Bengals and i would never have thought my female would tolerate a dog jumping over her but she lets him lick and sniff her all over and they sometimes share a bed but he has to ask first :005:

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
Our cat comes in with a little war cry as he wants to be chased. Sometimes he wants to play and sometimes he doesn't. he is only an inch shorter than Bracken so is more than capable of looking after himself with them.

We made sure at the beginning that he could always get away but he is such a laid back puss we haven't really had to worry with our dogs. He was particuarly scared of one of our foster dogs so we just kept an eye on her and we let him have his space.  He wasn't sure of one of the other fosters, a 6 month old boingy springer that would jump onto the services he was trying to hide on, so we usually distracted her and worked on her not jumping at him...or onto the services..
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »
My biggest concern with cats that are not too sure about bouncey dogs or inquisitive puppies is the damage they could inflict in a split second on a dogs eyes  :'( . Josh my male Tabby cat was cruel to Otter when he was 1st here and had him in a head lock and Otter was squealing as he couldnt get away from those sharp talens and teeth that were being sunk into him  :o :o , cats can play very roughly and for that Id just be extra cautious with a puppy or young dog.  :luv:

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
Hamish loves the cat but to be honest she cant be bothered with him and just ignores him as though he wasn't even there!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »
awwww Elmo you sweetie  :luv: your cat is very chilled with him  ;) my two haven't a mean bone in their body and claws are never out but Jem (the bengal) is a noisy girl and makes a fuss when he gets too boisterous  :o they can always get out or higher up I just don't want him to get in the habit of chasing them  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Alana Linnane

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:57:28 PM »
our female cat is in season right now and ellie can't resist chasing after her :005:  >:(