Author Topic: Claw ripped out  (Read 2262 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Claw ripped out
« on: February 05, 2004, 08:34:59 PM »
Millie has had to go to the vets today because when I came home at dinnertime she was yelping and crying out in severe pain.
We tried to get a look at what was wrong and deermmined that it was being caused by something low down on her left hind leg but couldn't fathom out what.
So i got a vet appointment and we took her down this afternoon.
The screams she mae in the vets room were enough to bring teas to Tristian's and my eye as we tried to hold her still for the vet to check out her paw         :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Anyway it turned out she had pretty much ripped her claw out at the quick somehow  :?:
We had to leav her there for 45 minutes whilst they sedated her and cauterised it. She had an antiboitic jab as well.

The vet said that the end was cauterised but would still have sensation in it for a few days and so would be quite tender.
Well shes home now and although she isnt limping or crying out she is very subdued - shes eaten some of her tea but is very sad looking and just wants to be cuddled if you will let her.

Can anyone suggest anyhting to give her to reduce the sensitivity / throbbing shes likely to be experiencing?

Kel and Tris                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

lynseyloo

Claw ripped out
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 08:44:02 PM »
oh poor baby...!!!  :cry:  hope shes better soon.  I know when Jessie was spaeyed Jane recommended arnica tablets to reduce the swellin and pain.. but whether they are appropiate here I dont know..maybe someone else that uses arnica could advise, as Janes away at momento                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Claw ripped out
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 09:12:18 PM »
Awww....poor Millie, lets hope lots of TLC will make her feel better :wink:   I wonder how she done it? :?

I use Arnica for bruises.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
Claw ripped out
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 09:21:29 PM »
Tris think she did it whilst she was outside in the morning and chased next doors cat - perhaps during the during the initial 'sprint' / 'take off' - but aren't we really sure  :?:  :?                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Claw ripped out
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »
Poor Millie. Hope she recovers quickly - sounds extremely painful!! :cry:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Claw ripped out
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 10:16:54 PM »
Poor Millie :cry:  Perhaps its just the after effects of the sedation thats making her feel a bit subdued - I would be inclined to just let her sleep it off(and of course, giving her plenty of cuddles in between :wink: ). Hope she feels better soon - having practically ripping one of my own nails off not too long ago, she has my utmost sympathy!!!                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Claw ripped out
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 10:30:46 PM »
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!  :(  

hope Millies feeling better soon. x

Maria & Blue                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Claw ripped out
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 07:21:08 AM »
Ah poor Millie ....  I agree with Gill and would just leave her sleep it off, the sedatives that they give them can and does make them very sleepy and they probably don't know why.

The Guernsey Boys send her lots of ***** and hope she is back to her old self today.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Claw ripped out
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 03:01:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about Millie's ordeal Kelly. Sounds like she may have injured herself whilst doing her doggy duty (chasing the cat!).   :roll:

Years ago my blue roan bitch Jodie had a grass seed in her paw and we took her to the vet.  The vet squeezed it out (causing Jodie to make a lot of noise) - the others were outside in the car and joined in so you can imagine what a racket it was!  She has never been very keen on having her paws touched since that episode.  

Anyway I hope Millie will soon be back to normal.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Claw ripped out
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 07:32:10 PM »
She has never been very keen on having her paws touched since that episode.  

This is something worth bearing in mind with Millie.  Molly, my parents' cocker, got an infected claw and since then has become very sensitive about her paws being touched.  She now needs to be muzzled at the groomers.

If Millie does get sensitive about her paws being touched, it is worth buying a muzzle for those times when you need to remove something (thorns, etc.) from her paws.

Hope she recovers soon.                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
Claw ripped out
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 10:36:32 AM »
well Millie has always had ticklish feet.. :roll: however i have made a point of picking up and touching all her feet everyday since it happened to try and stop this from happening. She's never grumbled or been nasty, just kinda "oi! that's my foot, and that tickles"  :D