Author Topic: Help please with worming/ flea prevention.  (Read 996 times)

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
Help please with worming/ flea prevention.
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
Daisy's previous owners used stronghold spot on treatment and said this is all that she needs as it treats everything all in one , but I have ran out and been to the vet for more and it's nearly £20 for three capsules that I have been told I will need to use monthly. Is there a cheaper way of worming/ preventing fleas and am I right in thinking that once Daisy is 6 months she wil only need worming every three months. I am realy confused by what she needs when  :huh:

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
Re: Help please with worming/ flea prevention.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »
Just been looking online and they do Bob martin flea treatment capsules  and worming tablets and I can get the whole lot for less than a fiver  :huh:  :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Off the shelf flea and worm treatments such as Bob Martins are not generally very effective. Most people use a combination of treatments for internal and external parasites - Frontline to deal with fleas and ticks and something like Milbemax or Drontal for worms. Frontline is expensive but you don't have to apply it all the time, I get the spray as opposed to the spot on and I only use it on my dogs in the spring and summer which is 'tick season', they've never had fleas. I pay about £6 for 3 Milbemax tablets from the vet; the rule of thumb for worming is once a month up to 6 months of age then again at 9 and 12 months and then every 6 months after that.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
I wouldn't go for a cheap way Amelie.Particularly Bob Martins  >:D False economy in my opinion!
 If you have only just got your dog - I would suggest you register with a vet and have a check up then be guided by him as to the best wormer/ flea treatment.. The next time you need some you can look online and probably save some money - try   www.vetuk.co.uk

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

Thanks for your replies.I think I'll go and speak to the vet tomorrow. I didn't know off the shelf stuff was rubbish.I guess you get what you pay for?

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
No I wouldn't bother with Bob Martins we sometimes use vet flea and ticks drops from the Canine Chemists you can order them online at www.hyperdrug.co.uk  you can also order Frontline etc from them - much chepaer than what you will pay at the vets.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman