Author Topic: 2 new puppy's.  (Read 4608 times)

Offline adiecoe

• Site Member
2 new puppy's.
« on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »
Hello to you all.

Been a long while since I posted here, maybe 2-3 yrs or so and since then I have pondarded with getting a Cocker.... well it took me a while but On saturday we are collecting 2 puppys  :blink: as you can imagine we are very excited and can't wait for them to get here, albeit late in the day, we wandered what people would think as we are having a brother and sister from the same litter. we feel this is really good as they are company for each other and that they will have that special bond together. Next week we will get them to Vets for their health check and booked in for Vaccinations etc. I will ask the opinion of the Vet as well on this.
 However I wandered what you knowledgeable folk thought.... when they are home would yoou like some pic's.....?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: 2 new puppy's.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »
Sorry to be a dampener but it's really not recommended to take two puppies at the same time, some people have done it and it's ok but it can be a recipe for disaster and I don't know of any reputable breeder who would let two puppies from the same litter go to the same home unless they knew them very well and there were exceptional circumstances. I know of a few people who have had or have littermates and they have had various problems with them and this includes one set of working cockers and one set of show type cockers. This thread explains it pretty well...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2017.msg17194#msg17194
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline adiecoe

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
Thank you very much for that link.... i genuinly appreciate any opinion anyone has on this. I have read the link and yes it sways towards it not being a good idea, However I'm fully confident in the breeder as she has ticked all the box's from my end of things.. we are very confident with this.  Thank you again.

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
I have no experience or advice to give but have to say one puppy is hard work so you are very brave taking on two  :005:.Good luck to you.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:27 PM »
Are you planning on having one or both neutered as soon as that's practicable? Only asking as having an entire dog and bitch living together can result in unwanted puppies unless you are prepared to keep them totally separate for 2-3 weeks when the bitch is in season. People think that won't be a problem but it only needs someone to be careless for a few seconds and the deed is sadly done.
Jane

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
personally if a breeder is prepared to sell you two puppies they should be ashamed of themselves unless your a professional trainer with a kennels in which case you are prepared for what two puppies will require.

Still amases me that there are people out there that go looking for so much hard work ::)  Can I ask why you've opted to get two???

Has your breeder health tested their stock to make sure you don't end up with two blind dogs??? Or cripples that can't walk??  Ie eye tests and hip scores???

I know this sounds terribly harsh but taking on two pups is never easy and usually results in one or both being dumped with rescue.

The only time I have ever considered taking on two were rescues and that was out of necessity because one of the dogs is deaf and requires a helper and his sister was being dumped at the same time, its cost alot of money, time and heartache to get both dogs trained and able to assist each other but by no means has it been easy or something that I would recommend.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Are you planning on having one or both neutered as soon as that's practicable? Only asking as having an entire dog and bitch living together can result in unwanted puppies unless you are prepared to keep them totally separate for 2-3 weeks when the bitch is in season. People think that won't be a problem but it only needs someone to be careless for a few seconds and the deed is sadly done.

I had littermates (over 18 yrs ago) and we had the dog neutered at 6 months and let his sister have her first season

after having Jock (my lab now) entire and bringing Fern in - letting fern have her first season was a nightmare as I was on constant season watch and as soon as she came into season Jock went away for the time she was in season

So getting one or both neutered as soon as practicable I would say is a must - also for your own sanity  :D

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
I agree with the others, I'm afraid.  Two dogs from the same litter is not really a good idea.  It can work in some situations, but quite often doesn't.  There seems to be a run on breeders selling littermates at the moment, one of my dog trainer friends currently has two clients with littermates and had another enquiry from someone with littermates yesterday.   :-\
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline adiecoe

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
Thanks again for your thoughts.... Its clearly obvious that some people strongly disagree with this! your comments are all taken on board, we are planning to have them both neutered  ASAP !

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
I hope you don't think my comments are being mean but honestly they aren't.  I see an awful lot of dogs coming into rescue and it really is terribly hard work, most people struggle to get one puppy to adulthood trained and a great family pet and even then we all have problems but taking on to can be an absolute nightmare even for those of us that are experienced.

Costs alone can be a huge factor as well as the fact that the pups are always going to bond with each other rather than with you which can make training a real problem.

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »
Hi there and welcome to COL  :shades:

You obviously know your dogs as 2 pups arent for the faint hearted  :005: :005: IMO If they are of different sexes then i really dont think it will be much of a problem other that double the usual. If they were of the same sex however Id be concerned  :D

Look forward to seeing piccies  :shades:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »
If you've never had a cocker before it's best to start with one and then wait till they are about 18 months before adding another, cockers prefer human company. Even if you got them they would have to be kept seperate most of the time so they don't get to attached to the point they ignore you.  
Cayley.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
Hiya, welcome.  :D

My mum four years ago took two littermates, both male pomeranians ph34r :005:. Fortunately for her, they have never had squabbles but I must emphasise how difficult it is to train two at the same time. One does one thing the other follows.  >:( Her house, even 4 yrs on is completly manic with two unruley hounds, which are lovely dogs, but because she didnt have the time, patience and knowledge, she has never been able to train them properly.  ;) She gets so frustrated with them, which annoys me, as it is not the dogs faults.

A friend of my OH's has Akitas (shows and breeds) and had a pup returned. She has the policy of only one pup, yet a lady she sold a pup too went straight out and bought another Akita pup as well elsewhere.  :o Needless to say they fought very badly, her returning the first pup to my OH's friend. I know if it where me I would be heartbroken to have to let go one of my 'babies'. ;)

I would take on board everything people have said to you, and wish you luck. You will defo need it with two.  :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »
Hi I don't personally know anyone who has litter mates so I cannot comment so just wanted to say good luck and yes please to puppy photos  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:21:30 PM »
Hi I don't personally know anyone who has litter mates so I cannot comment so just wanted to say good luck and yes please to puppy photos  :D

I know people who have and it is incredibly hard work.  You must take them out on their own for walks and training I believe.  Obviously the neutering of one of them.  Our breeder was keen for us to have two, and she said she know of many success stories. But I can't comment on that.  As long as you know what you are letting yourself in for.  My best friend kept two from her litter because the mother died in whelping (at the vets) and all the other 6 puppies did too.  She hand reared the last two and couldn't bear to let them go. They did fight a lot as siblings, but with a hell of a lot of training and time they settled down - it just took longer than usual. I personally wouldn't do it, as I am finding it hard enough with one.  You did ask!!  I want him to be settled as established before we get another.