Author Topic: 2 new puppy's.  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: 2 new puppy's.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:32:03 PM »
we are planning to have them both neutered  ASAP !

This is one of the few occasions where I would support early neutering - by which I mean at 12 weeks old, as is becoming increasingly common practice in the US, and which some UK rescues now routinely carry out through selected vets.

Early neutering is not ideal, and something I would usually oppose - but it is probably essential in the case of two littermate puppies of opposite genders in an inexperienced home (if you have to ask the question, then you are not experienced enough, imo).

No matter what your opinion of the breeder, the fact that you are posting your question here, rather than being kept fully informed by the breeder, speaks volumes............. :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »
Hi I don't personally know anyone who has litter mates so I cannot comment so just wanted to say good luck and yes please to puppy photos  :D

Ditto here.

I take on board everyones comments, some I feel a little harsh  :-\ 

But I would add that if you are asking the question, I am wondering if you are having doubts yourself  :-\  I havent read the link that Nicola put on (getting very tired ph34r) but I do recall one member insistent on getting litter mates, she ended up only getting one and was then so thankful that she did - it might be the same one. 

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »
I know this is a rather dark comment to make considering we are talking about puppies here.

Having two pup's the same age also reduces the odds of the inevitable happening closer together also. In my mind that would be double heartache.  :-\

I have had enquiries to let two pup's go together but thankfully the owners have understood why not (all the above reasons) once it has been explained to them.

Offline claireandmartin

• Site Member
  • xxx zak xxx
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
hi and welcome to col

you are going to have your work cut out  double the poos uggghhhh one puppys poo is enough for me at the moment lmao

good luck cant wait to see piccys
ZAK MY GEORGEOUS GOLDEN BOY

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

This is one of the few occasions where I would support early neutering - by which I mean at 12 weeks old, as is becoming increasingly common practice in the US, and which some UK rescues now routinely carry out through selected vets.

Early neutering is not ideal, and something I would usually oppose - but it is probably essential in the case of two littermate puppies of opposite genders in an inexperienced home (if you have to ask the question, then you are not experienced enough, imo).

I feel sick to the stomach at this comment and have never heard anything like it 12 weeks old  :o Blimey whats the world coming too  :'( Is this the way things are moving in the world of dogs  :-\ Im quite frankly speechless and upset at the thought  :'(

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
Wow, that sounds like hard work!  Just a quick message to say congratulations and good luck - and yes, yes, yes to the photos!!

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
There are positive stories and negative stories of people owning littermates. I would imagine (but am not 100% sure) that by having different sex littermates you might not have as much as a problem than if you had same sex with regard to fighting however you will obviously need an awful lot of time on your hands as you will need to train, walk and play with them separately.

If you do a search on littermates you can see that this has been discussed many times before.

Here are a couple of threads for you:

this one - where phillyknickers was going to get 2 and decided on only 1 but asked people for positive experiences
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22166.0

this one where people discussed experiences of littermates (mostly positive)
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=19688.0

a couple here where littermates have fought
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=23145.0
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=27402.0
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=34452.0

I think if you are going to make such a life changing decision it is not one that you make lightly - particularly as if the worst does happen then rehoming one of the dogs becomes a stark reality. IMO having one puppy is hard work enough - I dont know how I could deal with 2.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I look forward to seeing the pics.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 10:48:21 AM »
Hi and Welcome back to COL!

I've no experience of having to pup littermates. I have two Working Cocker Bitch Pups (Roxy 5months, Rio 11weeks). I think people must think we're nuts  :005: (but they probably thought that before!). We didn't intend to get two quite so close together - however when Rio's litter came along, she sounded perfect. Although they are 'our' dogs, we originally had Roxy (as a pet first and foremost) and for me to do agility with and Rio for my OH to do agility with. We take time to train them separately. I start work a little later and finish work an hour earlier - I take Roxy with me and my OH takes Rio with him (they come to work with us).

Although there are times when they go nuts (as any pup would!) so far, they are getting along superbly - better than we could ever have hoped for. They have bonded really well, but will respond to us when they are asked also. Roxy was toilet trained at about 12wks, and Rio seems toilet trained already! (Hope I havn't jinxed that  ph34r).They both know Sit, Wait, Down, Come, Shake Paws etc  Having the two has also taken the pressure off our older dogs who didn't always want to be played with!!!

Saying all that, I had a very nutty Border Collie before these two pups arrived (she's nearly eight yrs now and still crazy - makes up for about 10 dogs!!!!..but lovely  :luv:) so I think I was more than prepared for it!!  :005:

As I said, mine are both so young still and are not littermates, so not really a fair example, but thought I'd share my experiences!

Let us know what you do and can't wait to see pics!!  :luv:

- Holly -

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »

Our breeder had 2 girls from the same litter as her dogs - they were very well adjusted and trained, and obviously bonded well with their owner, as well as each other!  However she did admit that it was very hard work, and she would not have let anyone have 2 from one of her litters....

I think it can work, and you then overcome the problem of introducing a dog at a later stage, if your heart is set on two, but it isn't easy - they will need to be trained, walked and played with seperately so that they can bond with you as well as each other.
Good luck - I don't envy you the chaos that 2 pups are going to bring (I still have moments where I regret the chaos one pup brings).  You must be very devoted - and very excited!!!!!
 :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
My mother-in-law had two pups from the same litter and house training them (or any training) was an absolute nightmare. They weren't committed enough to putting in all the hours training the pups needed as they were both working full-time. In the end they ended up rehoming them as they couldn't cope with it.

I just hope you have a lot of time and patience to give them with their training. Training one puppy is hard enough. If you really want to have two dogs at the same time why not consider getting a puppy to begin with and when you are settled maybe look at getting an older rescue dog as a companion.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you think you can make it work then good luck  ;)

I feel sick to the stomach at this comment and have never heard anything like it 12 weeks old  :o Blimey whats the world coming too  :'( Is this the way things are moving in the world of dogs  :-\ Im quite frankly speechless and upset at the thought  :'(

Some rescues now do this as standard to prevent unwanted litters. Apparently the puppies recover quickly and there is no real difference to neutering them at this age or 6 months (any time pre-season). I'm not sure where I stand on it to be honest...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »

I'm surprised you are shocked tbh - it is very prevalent in rescues here , and in the USA where an awful lot of studies have been done on neutering as early as 6 weeks.  BTW I'm not saying I agree with it, just that it is becoming very commonplace.  :-\

Hollyd443, I wish you every success - training/walking/rearing 2 puppies separately is very hard work.

to the OP, I'm glad you're taking everything on board and have the time needed to individually train, walk and raise 2 littermates.

Would I do it?  No.  Would I buy a puppy off a breeder who would let me buy 2 littermates? No  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
My two are 20 months old now and we still haven't had any real problems.  They have sorted their own arrangements out over high value treats such as pigs ears, Amber goes in the basket in one corner and Jade sits under the window in the opposite corner, with Archie squished up right at the side of her with his.   :luv:  For is it has been a very positive experience, having two together, they never cried at night, they entertained each other (and still do), they play together and look out for each other on walks.  I never had a problem with them bonding with me at all, quite the opposite.  I did train them seperately though, one went to training classes one wek and the other went the next.  I walked them twice a day together and then a short walk seperately at lunch, until they were about 6 months old then we cut out the seperate lunchtime walk.  ;)  It can't have been a bad experince for us as when the girls were a year old we added Archie to the group.  They all get on really well.
The girls had both got their Gold good citizens award by the time they were 14 months old and Archie did his Bronze on the same night.
I know that all littermates won't get on as well as ours have, but I felt we needed a positive story to balance out the negative ones.
Good Luck with them if you decide to get both and YES PLEASE to the pictures.   :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline slippybearz

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 12:34:34 PM »
 hiya all, i must say ive generally  always had two pups at the same time be they from the same litter or different litter but they have been same sex  and same age pups ,( newfies and cockers )ive never had any probs with any of my lot and they are all well ajusted dogs and infact have all been shown and water worked   and done rather well at both ,  i find training two pups  just as easy  as one and must admit ive enjoyed it  they all get individule attention and  are quite happy to go walkies seperately or together but i must stress anybody considering two pups should  give there pups  seperate time where they get time away from there siblings  each day  so they are not joined at the hip,  my cockers  sparkle and splash ,were purchased from two well respected kennels at  roughly the same time  and had absolutely no probs  each being quite independent  adults  although slept with each other thruout there 14 years of life!! and current newfs seska  and sequin  are also littermates ,  so i know maybe  its just my experience  but  i generally find two together ok , having said that i think two diffferent sex pups may be  a bit more problematical !!!!! slippybearz

Offline philc

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
I have to 9 month old cockers both males from the same litter. I have to agree training them has been a lot harder than i thought but we are getting there.

They have only just got the hang of toilet training in the last few weeks which i think is quite late?

They both get on really well as one is quite submissive. But seperating them causes them a lot of anxiety at the moment.
I am just starting to walk them seperately to get there recall sorted as they get quite ingrossed in what the other is doing.

Would i go back and get just one? not a chance but i think we are very lucky. I wasnt aware we could have had so many problems, the breeder gave us no advice whatsoever!!!

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this is any help, but anyway, in my experience, I do not think its a good idea to get two pups from the same litter.

1) its harder to train them in all aspects.
2) they can become so attached to each other, having always been together, it can lead to problems such as separation anxiety.

My personal experience below:

There are two Labradoodles at my puppy class, brother and sister. They are about 4 months old (I think) and have a very strong bond with each other, so much so, when the wife takes the female to one side of the circle (that we all work around) and the husband takes the male tothe other side (or the other way around) they wine like crazy to get to each other. At this early age it looks as if they have the start of separation anxiety. My Puppy class trainer has said that if they, the owners. don't jump on separating the pair of them right now, they'll have major problems soon.

She suggested taking them out for walks separately for at least 50% of their walks, and to also make sure at some point for a while each day that they are not together. Weather it be one goes with the wife/husband to pick the grandkids up from school and one stays with the wife/husband at home, or one goes to visit a friend of the wife/husband and one stays at home with wife/husband. Just so they are apart.

I can see what you mean about keeping each other company. I think dogs need it, so much so, that when out late Westie (RIP my boy) died august 2007, we soon got Marlee our Coker pup in November so our Lhasa/Bichon who was always used to having another dog, had company (even though he wasn't found of him to start with, lol!).

Personally, if I didn't have any dogs, and the circumstances where that I felt my pup needed another dog for copmany, I'd look at getting a pup from another litter. That said, I don't think I personally would have two pups at the same time, because god help me, Marlee is enough! And people on here tell me I've been so lucky and have had it very easy with him.  :005:

But yeah, my advice, from experiences, I'd tell anyone that asks for my opinion to, if they really want to get two pup,s think about separate litters.

However, as some have said, sometimes it all goes smoothly and there are no problems, however this I am told is rare!

Please don't take offence, this is just my opinion, and so is not right or wrong, its all down to the individual people and pups. Good luck with your two, and YES Please! Do post photos! All of us on here can't get enough of photos!  :D