Author Topic: Worming Powder & Jabs  (Read 2493 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Worming Powder & Jabs
« on: February 09, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »
Hi everyone

Honey had her final jab on Saturday so will soon be facing the big wide world - CAN'T WAIT! (But does the world know what it's got coming to it :twisted:  :wink: )

She also had some more worming powder (Panacur?).

Anyway, since Saturday she has been absolutely fine in herself - lively and as naughty as ever, but she has been off her food.  This is unusual, as she's normally a real piggy :oops:  but she just took a nibble at her supper and just sniffed her breakfast today. Her poos are normal and she's drinking OK.

Would I be safe to assume this was the jab & powder?  

I'm sure it is, but thought I'd check with the experts!                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 12:54:56 PM »
Hiya Phil....

Get ready for the OOOO's and AAAHHH's when you take her out  :wink:  :D
I'm quite sure that Honey will be fine as long as she is normal in herself and her poos are still OK and she's drinking fine I wouldn't worry much at all. It could be that if you put the Panacur in her food....she maybe thinks theres some still in there and cottoned on the fact that you tried to fleece her  :lol:  :lol:  Maybe a bit of something extra tasty to convince her that it's all gone might work  :wink:  

Good luck on your 1st outing  :D

Gilly                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:14:47 PM »
Hi Phil, it'll take you hours to get anywhere with all the people stopping you!

My vet gave me Panacur for Indie's first  few times of worming, and to be honest I noticed no side effects. The first lot he had with a set of jabs too, and for a couple of days had runny poo, but was still eating well. It could well be a coincidence too, my boy is fussy - one day he'll wolf it down, then another day won't touch it - we alternate between Naturediet and Burns puppy and that seems to work well for him.

She could also just be feeling a bit off with her jabs, I have 3 kids and I know they all did - nothing spectacular, just a bit not right for a couple of days. So long as she's drinking, I'd just keep doing as you are doing and keep an eye out, but I'm pretty sure it may just be from her jabs.

Good luck on your first outing!

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:29:04 PM »
I stopped using Panacur for all my puppies & adults a while back, I found that it sometimes made them sick.

I had also heard a few horror stories concerning it & baby puppies, so I now give Drontal tablets to adults & drontal puppy suspension to babies.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »
I stopped using Panacur for all my puppies & adults a while back, I found that it sometimes made them sick.

Same here Kim - if they weren't sick or had the runs, they were off-colour. I changed to Drontal too & have had no further problems.                    
Jane

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:12:20 PM »

I had also heard a few horror stories concerning it & baby puppies, so I now give Drontal tablets to adults & drontal puppy suspension to babies.

It didn't make Lottie sick but she did have a bad reaction to it.  By that I mean she became extremely restless and unoccupied and didn't quite know what to do with herself :? It wasn't nice to watch her in this strange state, it passed after about 4 hours.  I changed to Drontal and have had no problems at all :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »

It didn't make Lottie sick but she did have a bad reaction to it.  By that I mean she became extremely restless and unoccupied and didn't quite know what to do with herself :? It wasn't nice to watch her in this strange state, it passed after about 4 hours.  I changed to Drontal and have had no problems at all :wink:

Meg had the same sort of reaction when she was a puppy (nearly 10 years ago now). I switched to Drontal and haven't ever had a problem since  :D                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worming Powder & Jabs
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 12:47:30 PM »
I've mentioned it on here a few times before, but Jimmy had a really nasty reaction to Panacur on two occassions........ going demented for hours on end. :(  I've had no such problems since with Drontal, though have read on another forum of other owners whose dogs have. It does seem that different wormers affect dogs differently.