Author Topic: Potatoes?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline staceyarie26

• Site Member
Potatoes?
« on: February 09, 2004, 01:37:45 PM »
I was reading a book called '101 things you should know about your new puppy' and inside it had a section on potatoes.  Apparently you shouldn't feed potatoes to your dog in ANY form as they can't digest them properly and it causes them terrible stomach upset.   :(    I was just wondering if this is true as Honey and Dylan have gone without potatoes with their sunday roast now for a while and I think they miss them!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 03:55:50 PM »
Did it specify if that was raw, cooked or total? I remember being told that raw potatos are bad for us, ie people, and have never given my boys raw, but they have had cooked potatoes all their lives and never had a problem. It perhaps depends how much you feed them and that some dogs do have more sensative tum's.

The number of dogs I know that love to snaffle chips :shock:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Potatoes?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:07:51 PM »
I do know that raw are not good for the digestion in humans so would have thought that would apply to dogs too :?

Lottie doesn't seem to have a problem, she has a roast dinner with us once a week which always consists of a roast potato :D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Potatoes?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 04:28:45 PM »
Glad to see I am not the only one that gives their dog a roast dinner, Billy has roast potatoes,veggies, mash and yorkshire puddings and gravy and whatever meat we are having.

But this is the dog that has to have a cup of warm milk every morning as well??

Would agree with everybody else a little bit every now and then shouldn't harm.

Michelle                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Potatoes?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 06:09:19 PM »
Well - Millie either has a particularly tough tum, or dogs can eat them.
I have always given her raw carrots, peas and potatoes whilst I am preparing veg for dinner.
It was even recommended to me by my breeder.
She absolutely loves them all! :)

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? She doesn't get a truck load, maybe half a potato about golf ball sized.

Personally mym mum always ate the odd raw spud when she was making sunday roast, so I have never known them to be poisonous / bad when raw...    :?:  :?:  :?:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline PennyB

Potatoes?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »
Potatoes in some form must be OK as they are found in certain dog diets, e.g. Oscars fish and potato. When Wilf had  an upset stomach recently I gave him mashed potato and chicken for a couple of days which went down well!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Potatoes?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:34:49 AM »
Hi,
Tia being the scavenger that she is appears to be able to eat anything. She particulrily loves anything that is due to the rabbits and will even steal from under their noses if she can slip past us.
One of her favouites are the eyes etc from raw potatoes and carrot peelings. She has bitten her way into a bag of Bunny Brunch!
You can imagine how I felt when I saw her dive into the rabbits hutch after we'd only had her a short time, and the relief I felt when she emerged with only a cauliflower stalk!!!!!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline staceyarie26

• Site Member
Potatoes?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 04:04:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your comments.  Dylan and Honey will be pleased to know potatoes are back on the menu!!  :D   I know they have missed them for the past few weeks and will be very pleased to see them back in their bowls, although that does mean less for me!  :(