Author Topic: Hi still having a problem  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Hi still having a problem
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »
Just seen the ad, it is Kasper  :'(  Must have missed something, I thought this was being sorted this morning. 

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
Just seen the ad, it is Kasper  :'(  Must have missed something, I thought this was being sorted this morning. 

Lets hope this ad was published BEFORE the OP posted on COL  :-\
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
 :o
have been watching this thread but didnt feel qualified to add any advise ....also dont know what your breeder was like but wont they take him back if you cant cope...i know mine would and i really wouldnt care about the money..would be just concerened they went to a good home....please do the right thing by him..it really isnt his fault

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
He seems to have disappeared off the site now :-\  Or is it me?
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
RE: Hi I'm Still Having A Problem
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
I had written that last night after speking with the behaviourist for over an hour he had told me that i should not trust my dog with mine or anyone elces children, i was really upset but I had not realised the advert had been posted on line yet. I had not even spoken to my OH at the time and as no one has replied so i was unawear of my error.

After speaking to experts and by taking on board your advise I don't think he has rage nor will he go on to develop it, myself and my family have agreed to do everything we can to get him and us right, i presume that as i can not find my original post that many of you have already passed judgement but i have already booked a session with a behaviourist and re enrolled a training classes. I have just got back from the vet after taking him to check their was noughing medically wrong (ie Pain) and he is going to be castrated the week after next.

As far as my actions i was extremely upset last night i was told that my dog had a serious gene defect and that the best thing for the sake of my kids would be to let him go. I love my dog and did not sleep a wink for worring. I suppose it is my fault for getting sucked in and not using my own common sense but I really did not know where to turn at the time

As I said I feel much more confident today after reading your posts and by speaking to other behaviourisits of whom none actually suggested Rage, sorry if I upset anyone that was not my intentiom.

Admin Note: Action has been taken by Worthy to delete the ad but it may still show up for a while if a direct link is used.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »

What worries me about this story is that this behaviouralist could be giving similar advice to other owners who aren't seeking advice from other sources - how many pups have been rehomed because this guy has said that the owner would never be able to trust their dog around their kids???   :'(

I am glad that you have been able to speak to other behaviouralists and get a more balanced view - and checking out any potential medical problems was a very good step!  :D

I hope you get the support and guidance to enable all your family to return to enjoying your pup!  :D

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
Pm'ing you now  :-*

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
Take it you were talking about Dogs r Us, formally known as Mayfield kennels, I would never buy a dog from there they are all so tiny when compaired to a normal litter of healthy pups  >:(

They are opeining a new "pet superstore" in Leeds due to the "success" of their Manchester puppy shop  :'(

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »
Take it you were talking about Dogs r Us, formally known as Mayfield kennels, I would never buy a dog from there they are all so tiny when compaired to a normal litter of healthy pups  >:(

They are opeining a new "pet superstore" in Leeds due to the "success" of their Manchester puppy shop  :'(

makes me so mad  >:D

and very very sad at the same time - those poor pups  :'(
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »
Opening a shop in Leeds. Do you know when? I've not heard about that. I will have to not go or will want to buy them all to rescue them...

Poor puppy's. I might write to council to complain.

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
 :blink: The vets have rang me today they have had a cancellation so he is going for his op on Tuesday instead of the week after next

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
Opening a shop in Leeds. Do you know when? I've not heard about that. I will have to not go or will want to buy them all to rescue them...

Poor puppy's. I might write to council to complain.

I read it the other day somewhere then I saw their website. Funny, I just googled it and came accross this site

http://www.dogs-r-us.org/

We have to be careful what we say about them on forums though.

Apologies for the hijack

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
So glad you are in a more positive frame of mind, and so glad you didn't listen to that first eejit who said your dog had rage!  >:D :o ::)

Sounds like you are making some really positive steps!  :D

Do keep us posted on how you are getting on  :blink:

What worries me about this story is that this behaviouralist could be giving similar advice to other owners who aren't seeking advice from other sources - how many pups have been rehomed because this guy has said that the owner would never be able to trust their dog around their kids???   :'(

I think there may be several "behaviourists" doing that  >:(  There was a thread on here not too long ago, someone was told over the phone by a so-called "behaviourist" (who had never seen the dog) that their dog had rage, based on the "fact" that it was a red cocker  >:D ::)

It's actually rather convienent for these alleged trainers and behaviourists: "Oh, bad dog? Biting? Ohhhh, red/solid cocker? Has rage, nothing to be done for it, put it down, I'll send you my bill"  >:( :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline millerman

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 02:44:31 AM »
We bought our first Cocker from DRU in Manchester, i know how you feel,  we managed to find another home for him, one without kids. A home with lots of land where he can get out and get lots of exercise burn off some of his energy. Our local Vet wanted to put him down, told us it would be the best thing, we never agreed but did think he needed better help than we could give him. Hes not far from us and we here from time to time from the new owners (one man and two Labs) he settled well.

It was a steep learning curve for us, we now have a Blue Roan Bitch the most wonderful Dog a real friend, shes been with us now for 3yrs sweat and gentle, and we did'nt go back to DRU. We went to a private breeder in Chorley. Hope it works out for you and your Dog good luck 

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
 :D He wasn't from DRU, but from a breeder in Darbyshire. Sorry to here of your problems and thankfully/hopefully what we are experiencing is just a case of him flexing his teenage muscles, I have made a point of giving Saul more responsibility with him in regards to feeding and giving the occasional treat. I am also taking him on walks with myself and Kasper and teaching him how to walk him properly on the lead.

Have not had another episode as of yet, I have explained to Saul that its not that the dog doesn't like him as he was quite upset by the whole thing. We have also been enforcing the no couch rule I had bought him a new bed for the front room but he ate that yesterday when we popped to Asda :005: He is a sweet natured dog and I do feel confident that with a little work we will overcome this glitch

As far a Rage Syndrome; I don't think so, if it was a uncontrollable neurological condition he would not have the capacity to distinguish between family members and certinly would not be giving us any warning. As i said he is in for his op on Tuesday :huh: so if it is hormone related maybee that will be the end of it