Author Topic: Is he average or small  (Read 1387 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Is he average or small
« on: February 11, 2004, 09:00:46 AM »
Took 17 week old Indie to the vets the other day, and weighed him in the waiting room. He's 7.5kgs, and 14 inches tall at his shoulders. Is this ok? I meant to ask the vet but he was rushed and I forgot!

Also, do they reach their full growth around 6 months?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Is he average or small
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »
There is no average weight or size for a Cocker pup, Shona - they're all different & grow at their own individual rates, some have finished growing at 6 months old, some will carry on growing for a few months after this time. I'm sure there was another thread on this subject only recently - can't find it at the moment but it should be somewhere if you have a hunt round :)                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Is he average or small
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 12:27:57 PM »
Hi Shona

As Jane says this does seem to be a "how long is a piece of string question" but it is one a lot of us novices have asked in the past. If you are interested in comparisons, here are Misty's weights from around the same age as Indy...

3 months 4.6 kg
4 months 6.0 kg
5 months 8.4 kg
7 months 9.75 kg

At almost 9 months old now she is just under 15 ins, I'm not sure of her weight. She is very fine boned though so is unlikely to ever be very heavy, but has grown to be both heavier and taller than I expected as she was quite a small pup....... it just goes to show you just can't tell entirely. :D

The breed standard says 15.5 / 16 ins for a fully grown male and 15/ 15.5 for a bitch, weight 28 to 32 lbs for either. I've no idea how lbs translate to kgs. :? Cockers do seem to come in all shapes and sizes though and even at shows they don't appear to fall into this guide.

As an example of how Cockers can grow at different rates and it's hard to predict when they stop growing , Jimmy was 11.6kgs at 15 months but at almost 24 months was 12.8 kgs.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Is he average or small
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 01:31:32 PM »
Thankyou Colin, that was a really informative post. Very interesting to compare with Misty, I suppose they are all just like kids and very varied.

It's obviously he's just at the period of extreme growth, he's literally changing every day, I'll admit to being a bit concerned for a while he was gaining too much weight, but he's very stocky and has particularly muscly front legs and chest from all the lead pulling he does! Now he's slowed down, so of course I was worried he's too wee,lol

I've been walking him for short periods, but a good few times a day, and he gets in the garden  lot too, but he's not got a scrap of fat on him, he's just really solid.

I was just amazed the way he's doubled then tripled in size, bless him

thanks

Shona                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Is he average or small
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »
There is no average weight or size for a Cocker pup, Shona - they're all different & grow at their own individual rates, some have finished growing at 6 months old, some will carry on growing for a few months after this time. I'm sure there was another thread on this subject only recently - can't find it at the moment but it should be somewhere if you have a hunt round :)

Thanks Jane,

I did see the other thread a while ago, but just scanned it quickly, I'll have another look.

I reckon he's doing ok, seems average now I look at the other weights Colin posted.

Shona