Author Topic: Worried about leaving her  (Read 974 times)

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
Worried about leaving her
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
We have a holiday booked for next month, but as it is drawing closer I am getting more and more worried about leaving Daisy.She is going to my Dad's so will be well looked after plenty of walks etc, but I just don't want her to think we have left her completely  and be moping all week.Already she shows signs of seperation anxiety which I worry may have come from her being rehomed once already.I can go upstairs and leave her downstairs but if I go out she cries (neighbours said not for long) and if I leave her outside a shop she cries (again not for long by the time I come out she has stopped), and even if we are out walking and DH or I walks on ahead she cries and pulls ,so I am wondering what a week away will do to her.DH has said she will be fine and it will be out of sight out of mind and she will just be excited when we return , but I can't help getting worried.I really wish she could come with us but the holiday is centered around our two children and not really dog friendly.Does anyone have any tips?

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Worried about leaving her
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »
I am sure she will be fine. Hurley is like my shadow and follows me EVERYWHERE, when I go away I leave him with my mum and although for the first half hour or so he cries and sits by the door, after a while he is fine.

You should stress to your Dad not to overcompensate for you not being there and carry on as normal. He shouldnt really give her extra attention to make up for you not being there as that could make her worse.

I'd also err on the side of a caution when tying her up outside shops  :-\  :-\ dog thieving is big business these days and thieves will take dogs to breed from, hold to ransom....... 
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »
I think Daisy sounds like she will be fine.  Seperation anxiety, I think, tends to be continous throughout the time apart - an initial cry and then settling down is just normal "If I cry a bit they might come back and play"... Honey doesn't whine when we leave her in her dining room, as she loves the treat she gets too much (!), but does if one of us goes out of range (either upstairs, or into a shop when out).  When we stayed at my in-laws after Christmas, we left her with them for a couple of hours and she howled for the first couple of minutes, then was perfectly happy!!!

Have you left her at your Dad's before? If not, can you leave her there for an afternoon, so that she knows being left there doesn't mean being left forever (and you know that she will be happy there)???

Good luck - I have to say I was adamant that kennels would be fine for any dog we got, but have signed Honey up for a local pet boarding service, as I just can't imagine leaving her in kennels!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
What about getting her a little used to it. Can she go and stay for an afternoon, or even a night. Take some of her home comforts with you, so she still has her favourite toys etc.

I think she will be fine, I'm sure your dad will make a fuss of her  ;)
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
What about getting her a little used to it. Can she go and stay for an afternoon, or even a night. Take some of her home comforts with you, so she still has her favourite toys etc.

I think she will be fine, I'm sure your dad will make a fuss of her  ;)
He does not live locally otherwise we would do this.We have left her there before for a short period, but unfortunately not often.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
She should be fine

However --- please don't leave her outside shops even if its a short time --- a lot of dogs get stolen this way (or harmed) and in seconds
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ameliexx

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:00:55 PM »
She should be fine

However --- please don't leave her outside shops even if its a short time --- a lot of dogs get stolen this way (or harmed) and in seconds
:o :o :o that's awful. I had not even thought about this before.I must be far too trusting.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:08:24 PM »
She should be fine

:o :o :o that's awful. I had not even thought about this before.I must be far too trusting.

Just take a look at this site

http://www.doglost.co.uk/ - it shows how prevalent it is  :-\
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."